Why do 'Big MA Ins' co. 'Stake out' Dr.Offices??? (illegal referrals)

Mike Siegal

Guru
100+ Post Club
Hey Buds,

I notice Large insurance companies stake out Dr. Offices trying to get referrals from their Dr.Network.

(i thought this was illegal)

I can understand setting up a Demo Table at Medical Centers but Dr. Office visits IN HOPES of getting business referred to them by an office manager or assistant???

Seems like a waste of time...
  • Am i right??
  • What am i missing???

thanks for your input...

Only because it works when done in compliance. I had a doc as a client who started sending me his patients after he saw how the plan worked. He retired and sold his practice to a hospital and I never followed up.

How can it be done in compliance?
  • the only way i can see is if the doctor has the Patient call you!

?

It’s a free for all out there . Throw in 20 k fe door knockers in the last 2 yrs selling mapd and it’s chaos . The United RD last yr told me the only secret shoppers are CO’s themselves policing .

It’s a free for all out there . Throw in 20 k fe door knockers in the last 2 yrs selling mapd and it’s chaos . The United RD last yr told me the only secret shoppers are CO’s themselves policing .

What do you mean CO's ???

Prior to COVID that was our main source of business. For several months most doctors were not allowing any reps into the office. But in Texas we are now able to market medical practices and we are back doing breakfast and lunch and learns for medical offices. The average practice will refer 2-5 patient a month. If you market 10 practices you will get 20-50 new clients each month, and you lock the office to yourself.

Prior to COVID that was our main source of business. For several months most doctors were not allowing any reps into the office. But in Texas we are now able to market medical practices and we are back doing breakfast and lunch and learns for medical offices. The average practice will refer 2-5 patient a month. If you market 10 practices you will get 20-50 new clients each month, and you lock the office to yourself.

Nice...are you selling both Medi-supps and MA ?

Prior to switching to the broker side I was a Patient Financial Advocate at our area hospital. I built up great relationships with the area doctors by helping their patients navigate the world of prescription assistance. When I got licensed and left the hospital Dec 2020 one promise I made to the doctors was to continue offering the PAP help. I offer that at no charge regardless of client or not and I don't pressure them to sign on with me. 9 out of 10 choose to jump ship for the value added service. I'm in a rural area without a huge population but I have managed on average signing 17 new clients a month ( I know not a lot for city agents but I am still d@mn proud) going into AEP I already have 200 appointments booked and have been getting 3-5 referral calls a day for appointments. Patient Assistance Programs (PAP) are a huge benefit you can add that will ensure you can lock in those Dr office referrals. I use needymeds.org to find the assistance programs and help them apply. Year to date I have saved my clients over $500,000 in copays and insurance premiums (premium grants through HealthWell and other Nonprofits). I get 100% of the referrals coming from the local doctors offices and pharmacies. I am making a push for next year by reaching out to providers across the state in search of that 6 figure salary. I have not spent any money on leads or ads and have instead scored radio and news by doing fundraising a few times a year. I am happy to teach other agents how to start their own PAP. It is by far the most rewarding thing in the world. Does it consume a lot of time yes but I would rather use it for that than chase after purchased leads.

Back