Why I Love WPEngine and Wordfence

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
I found 3 forums where this could fit but the Website forum is looking like it needs some love, so . . .

I have used WPE and Wordfence for years and doubt I will ever change. Had some hacking issues in the past. In one situation I had to get my son to fix it remotely. (Web security is his trade). Once he got the bad guys locked out he moved my site to WPE and suggested Wordfence.

My site (only have one, multiple sites too much for me to maintain) still has hacking attempts from time to time but WPE and Wordfence are quick to notify me and keep me on top. A few minutes ago I got this notice.

Information below truncated since the full string was blocked by the forum

he Wordfence Web Application Firewall has blocked 120 attacks over the last 10 minutes. Below is a sample of these recent attacks:August 10, 2021 3:49pm 162.241.226.190 (United States) Blocked for SQL Injection in query string: action = lostpassword '-6863 union all select 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,CONCAT(0x3a6f79753a,0x4244764877697569706b,0x...

I can certainly vouch for Wordfence. They are very good, although their UI could probably be a bit friendlier without being too confusing.

They will throw some false positives, but the learning mode quickly resolves them.

I have used WF for years and the product has made a LOT of improvements since the early days. When I first started using them the founder (at least I think he was the founder) answered the phone. I have don't Beta testing for products (Everex fax modem) and some software in the past. Can't recall if I did Beta for WF or not.

I am not a programmer or engineer but I know my way around a lot of this stuff and can test it in ways consumers use the products. Some companies appreciate this perspective.

When testing the fax modem the company WAS very small. I got to know the founder there as well. He said some of their testers asked where to feed the paper through the machine . . .

And I agree, the UI could use some improvement. I would rather have false positives than missing a major intrusion.

Ive used WF for years as well. And monitor the reports to see what type of attacks are going on. Its always kept my sites safe.

WP Hardening is a great addition to WF. After installing WP Hardening, the number of attacks on my site decreased significantly. Mainly because it fixes some of the holes in WP that enable various attacks. You can even change the url of your login screen to prevent just anyone from knowing what it is.

Back