Why This Family Struggled to Secure Health Insurance Under Obamacare for Their 4-Year-Old Son

I'm going to be a jerk about this for a moment.
If you read the entire article, the very last sentence, she says, "of all the groups, kids with disabilities shouldn't be targeted."
That ticks me off. While, her situation is frustrating, due to the ineptitude that is the Federal Marketplace, she was not singled out. Kids with disabilities are not "flagged". Why is it that people think this is personal? Like they are the only ones? Get over yourself! No one knew your kid has an issue- he's another number in the system. Argh!! If you would respond to the letters you received, you would never have been in this position.
What happened to the common sense in our country?

So the son was targeted and she ignored multiple requests from the Marketplace for info until notified the son had been dropped and she had time for many phone calls after he was dropped but not before typical woe is me article.

I agree with everything except your next to last sentence. There are countless people who have uploaded AND mailed their verification documents multiple times and still either lose their subsidy and/or coverage.

I agree with you. But in this case, the article said she ignored the letter from January. So, she did it to herself and blames the carrier for singling her out because her son is disabled. Nope, you had a problem because you are an ***.

all missing the point... had this lady had an agent or broker she would have called and we would have said send me the docs and I will up load it... you get what you get and don't throw a fit

I'm not sure why anyone would attempt to enroll on the marketplace without an agent. The process is much too complicated. If my clients call the marketplace even one time they mess themselves up. It is not simple.

And clients lie: I've had people tell me they 'never' got a letter. 'Those people' send out so much paper that entire forests are disappearing. Clients also think they can get away with a lie about their income. Oh, you did not get $22,000 out of your IRA? Really.

Agents expend a lot of energy trying to help clients. Do not try this alone. Everyone needs an agent.

I'm not sure why anyone would attempt to enroll on the marketplace without an agent. The process is much too complicated. If my clients call the marketplace even one time they mess themselves up. It is not simple.

And clients lie: I've had people tell me they 'never' got a letter. 'Those people' send out so much paper that entire forests are disappearing. Clients also think they can get away with a lie about their income. Oh, you did not get $22,000 out of your IRA? Really.

Agents expend a lot of energy trying to help clients. Do not try this alone. Everyone needs an agent.

I agree. Anyone who doesn't use and agent who knows what they are doing is just a fool.

My first question is how is this 4 year old on a MP plan to begin with? Every single MP plan I've been involved with has kicked anyone 18 and younger to Medicaid or CHIP.

My first question is how is this 4 year old on a MP plan to begin with? Every single MP plan I've been involved with has kicked anyone 18 and younger to Medicaid or CHIP.

You are so right: so where did this story come from? The children I have on the marketplace had to formally get declined on Medicaid and/or CHIPS first. That process in itself is months. Now, I question the validity of this story?

You are so right: so where did this story come from? The children I have on the marketplace had to formally get declined on Medicaid and/or CHIPS first. That process in itself is months. Now, I question the validity of this story?

I guess what has me scratching my head even more is why am I the first agent to point this out...

I guess what has me scratching my head even more is why am I the first agent to point this out...

EVERY child had to go through denial? Expansion AND Non-expansion states?

I have a ton of families, getting subsidies, that made enough so they weren't thrown to CHIPS/Medicaid.

Back