Why would an employer not offer

You are right about some of these thoughts. The problem is that your discussion is subjective and not business oriented. I offer Colonial to my clients with the following thoughts. 1. STD has a strong possibility of happening. (give a percentage that you can justify). Colonial only requires 5 enrollees for guaranteed issue. 2. Cancer is very inexpensive when you pretax the premium and receive the preventative care rider. 40% of women will have cancer and 50% of men. Lead with %, close with the true cost. 3. I am not a big accident policy person but it might make sense if you children play organized sports.

Other carriers offer STD with 5 person guaranteed issue. This would be the primary product. Use dollars and sense. Please do not pretax STD. Prepare with financial information and start the conversation this way. Move to the emotional and close with more financial.
I hope this helps.

The challenge is to find "buyers" in a professional manner. We need to demand better marketing tools from the carriers that show benefits to their business.

I'm of the personal opinion that it's not the carriers responsibility. As far as marketing tools, what are the carriers going to offer: better slick and glossies, direct mail campaigns, more media advertising, or video presentations. I can't think of a single marketing tool that the carriers could pay for that would actually help and that is not directly related to direct lead generation. If they could accomplish that on their own, why would they need us.

Even if we all of us in the insurance business approached the owners in a "professional" manner, we would still be lumped together with all the other industries making approaches to the owners all day long. Bottom line: there is a tremendous opportunity for those that are creative to standout from the crowd.

Well what do you guys do to be different? I'm new at this and will to learn. My approach in sales is to be more of a relationship builder with a consulting orientation.

As far as Cancer products go, I get a LOT of positive response from women who have Colonial's cancer product. They know they are at risk and love the wellness benefit.

Well what do you guys do to be different? I'm new at this and will to learn. My approach in sales is to be more of a relationship builder with a consulting orientation.

What sales person doesn't say this?
To be different, you need to not say this, but actually do it. Keep in mind that most people don't really want a personal relationship with their insurance agent, just a professional one.

Consulting is tough turf. It took me a while to realize that I get paid to be the professional. Consulting isn't just about educating and offering choices, but it's more about listening to the concerns and leading them to the correct choice, without being a pushy sales person.

After that, it's all about followup and customer service. Of course, this is a much bigger issue on the P&C side of the world, but it's true with everything.

Dan

You are absolutely right about the creative approach being the winner. I am probably not wording this right but I went out into the street with the same tired old program and felt the pain. The companies are training agents (and a lot of them) to run out and throw brochures in front of business owners. I do not market this way any more and I have more success with creativity. The insurance industry reputation is being lowered by the current approach that these companies are teaching. So, try something new and bold and take the training given by the company with a grain of salt. I don't want brochures but I think if they offered marketing intellegence we would all benefit.

Please provide a source for your cancer %. I would like to use this, but in the interest of professionalism, I prefer to restrain from citing posts on internet forums. Of course, I could just print your post and highlight the numbers.

You are right about some of these
thoughts. The problem is that your discussion is subjective and not business oriented. I offer Colonial to my clients with the following thoughts. 1. STD has a strong possibility of happening. (give a percentage that you can justify). Colonial only requires 5 enrollees for guaranteed issue. 2. Cancer is very inexpensive when you pretax the premium and receive the preventative care rider. 40% of women will have cancer and 50% of men. Lead with %, close with the true cost. 3. I am not a big accident policy person but it might make sense if you children play organized sports.

Other carriers offer STD with 5 person guaranteed issue. This would be the primary product. Use dollars and sense. Please do not pretax STD. Prepare with financial information and start the conversation this way. Move to the emotional and close with more financial.
I hope this helps.

You are right Somarco. I want to make damn sure that I know what the heck I'm selling to my customers. My biggest fear is putting them into an inappropriate product. Almost paranoid about it if truth be known. My reputation and credibility are at stake and I take this very seriously.

Back