Will BRAC Analysis Be the Next Colonoscopy?

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
In the past, the high out-of-pocket cost for testing for mutations in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes prevented the test for many women who might otherwise have had it. BRCA testing can determine if a woman’s risk of breast cancer goes beyond the normal 12% to upwards of 70%, in some cases. The test costs around $3,000.

The clarification, which comes from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the U.S. Department of Labor, and the U.S. Department of the Treasury, “will allow for BRCA testing to be completed with no patient cost sharing for all non-grandfathered private insurance plans when an asymptomatic woman has a qualifying family history.”
Affordable Care Act: BRCA Testing Covered - Am I At Risk? - Breast Cancer

Will the test be "free" until they diagnose a potential problem and then is billed as diagnostic vs preventive?

Absolutely! A $3000 (possibly "free") test. I sense some heavy lobbying to get approval on this.

This is HUGE. One company owns the patent on the test, and they keep the price very high. I know this because it runs in my family.

I, and many women like me, have chosen not to have the genetic testing because 1) it's expensive; 2) it's a no brainer to see that I'm at risk anyway; 3) if the test says I don't have that gene, there are other genetic propensities toward breast and ovarian cancer to worry about.

So, until now the $3,000 gene testing wasn't as necessary as $100 screenings 2-3 times a year. But if it's FREE...... well, hey, I can talk on my Obamaphone while I'm sitting in the waiting room for my $3,000 test. The only problem is that I'm going to need those $100 screenings 2-3 times a year anyway, even if the test tells me I don't have the BRCA gene mutation.

Seems like another Solyndra scandal brewing . . .

Indeed, it has the potential for that. The company that has the patent on this genetic testing will not be a part of ANY PPO networks or contracted rates. They don't have to. They charge full price. With increased utilization, the price is bound to go up isn't it - or did I forget my Macro Economics 101 course of the principals of supply and demand? It seems like HHS just gave this company a billion dollar raise.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Oh, Yagents, by the way, Macro Economics is not related to macroorchidism !!!

Last edited:
Non-par testing presents an interesting conundrum for the folks promoting "free" preventive care.

When is a preventive test free? Let's look beyond the thread topic for now.

Is it only when you use a par provider? Or can you use any provider and still get a free preventive exam? If the non-par provider rejects the carrier fee schedule and balance bills the patient, who is liable? Can the carrier be fined for not living up to the Obamacare pledge of a free preventive exam?

I thought 23andme.com did this test for like 100 bucks?
The last I heard, the only medically accepted test was provided by one company and it cost $3000, which is what the article also said. However if another test costs only $100, then that is good :news! :
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Non-par testing presents an interesting conundrum for the folks promoting "free" preventive care.

When is a preventive test free? Let's look beyond the thread topic for now.

Is it only when you use a par provider? Or can you use any provider and still get a free preventive exam? If the non-par provider rejects the carrier fee schedule and balance bills the patient, who is liable? Can the carrier be fined for not living up to the Obamacare pledge of a free preventive exam?

Wow, that is a good point!

Last edited:
Back