Will BRAC Analysis Be the Next Colonoscopy?

Both my mother and I have had this genetic test and both tested positive for the BRCA2 mutation. Both of us have had breast cancer, her twice. I was only 35 when it was caught a few years ago. That being said I do not think this should be covered under preventive care. The representatives were trying to get anyone in our family to get tested that had insurance to "cover it".

Got an answer on the non-par preventive care question.

for non par providers

Preventive Care | HealthCare.gov

Network providers: If your health plan uses a network of providers, be aware that health plans are required to provide these preventive services only through an in-network provider. Your health plan may allow you to receive these services from an out-of-network provider, but may charge you a fee.

Got an answer on the non-par preventive care question.

Thank-you for doing that research, Bob.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Both my mother and I have had this genetic test and both tested positive for the BRCA2 mutation. Both of us have had breast cancer, her twice. I was only 35 when it was caught a few years ago. That being said I do not think this should be covered under preventive care. The representatives were trying to get anyone in our family to get tested that had insurance to "cover it".

It sounds like you and your family are very proactive, and that is an important thing when you have cancer in your family! I wish you the best.

I agree with you that it should not be covered under preventative, at 100%. However, I'm not so sure about the decisions of some insurance companies to not cover it at all. Prevention and early detection are extremely important.

Where do we draw the line about the definition of "preventative"? Some of these tests are extremely expensive. My doctor ordered a new kind of blood test for my preventative exam, which costs $700. It tests for vitamin & nutrient levels as well as the standard blood tests. I would kind of like to get it done, but I know I would be stuck with the $700 bill. If it was free I would get it. But what does "free" mean? It means it is really paid by higher premiums (and now, by higher taxes for subsidies!). After a while, the lobbyists will want these expensive screenings included in "preventative" for a myriad of diseases that one could possibly get in the future. Where is the end to this?

Last edited:
Approval for BRACanslysis was based on a US Preventative Services Task Force guideline which was published in September of 2005 and outlines what family history would qualify as a possible inherited syndrome. In 2005 BRCA testing was rated as a B for preventative care meaning only people with a specific family history should be tested and not the general population.

But Level B does not qualify under Free preventative care, only level A. I think PSA tests also got downgraded to B recently.

Are you and your mom both only children? Do you know where the damaged gene came from? What if others in your family also have the gene and they should be getting early mammograms starting in their 20s. Early detection saves lives, right?
But Level B does not qualify under Free preventative care, only level A. I think PSA tests also got downgraded to B

Is there a difference between a screening level B and diagnostic level B? PSA is just a screening test, BRAC is diagnostic because you get a positive or negative and that will never change. You officially have an inherited cancer syndrome when you test positive. A better comparison would be the needle biopsy which comes after an elevated PSA.
How much does it cost to treat a breast cancer patient? Ovarian cancer?

Last edited:
Back