Wind & Hail....HELP! Please.

Hi everybody:

I am so grateful to have this forum! it's been a great source of information!
I am a new agent in a new agency (worth mentioning), we have a great marketing plan and alot of prospects and good markets..HOWEVER, we can't get good Wind & Hail markets. The few that we do have are not competitive and we are losing alot of business due to this. Could anyone suggest competitive markets for this? Any information would be great. I have spent countless hours researching and have not really come up with anything.
APPRECIATE THE HELP..I REALLY DO!

BLUESTAR1

Re: Wind & Hail....HELP! Please...

Well since you listed your location as Haiti i think you will have some trouble finding carriers :P

I think someone just posted in General or Auto with a question along similar lines a couple days ago.

funny! I just realized that I have Alabama flag, that explains some of the replies...lol...now I can't figure out how to change it. In my defense I was probably in a hurry when I initially created the profile and Alabama is the first state listed..I just didn't pay attention...SO NOW, ANY WIND & HAIL MARKETS IN SOUTH CAROLINA THAT ANYBODY KNOWS OF? :)

I just had it register what you are asking and I'm not sure I can help. I once was an underwriter for a P & C company that used the intercoastal waterway as the line of demarcation but then got more conservative and went 2 counties inland as the line of demarcation. This was required by our treaty reinsurance. In those instances, the South Carolina agents used the state pool. Am I now touching on what you are asking about? I will say the coast is tough as the reinsurers want nothing to do with it and primary companies won't use their capacity where the wind is known to blow and cause great damage. It's only going to get worse as I read the reinsurers are going to increase their property reinsurance treaties for the coastal states for those counties that they will provide wind cover for. If I am now sort of on the right track, your only option might be the state pool. I'm glad I am in Illinois where we only have the occasional tornado to terrify us and they really do tell me I was born in Alabama but I really don't remember.:twitchy:

Thanks for the input Air Jer, you are right on...I am aware of the state pool, however it is very expensive..the only thing I can do is keep looking. Perhaps joining SIAA or CSCAN will give me better markets. I really appreciate your input!

Back