Work for a virtual insurance agency or start your own?

Warren Graham

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, so I apologize if it isn't. I'm a high school teacher who took a two year break from teaching to be a financial advisor because I realized I needed to make more money. While I did make more, I missed teaching and returned this school year. I want to put my life insurance license to use to bring in supplemental income. Being a virtual agent seems to be the best fit for me since I live in a rural area and would only be able to work nights/weekends. What I'm trying to decide is would I be better off working for a virtual agency or starting my own.

I've looked for part-time life insurance jobs but so far have only come across The Alliance and another similar company. The two might be legitimate but they seem a little too much like a MLM to me. Assurance reached out to me but their commission rate is pretty low. I do have an interview with Dynamic Insurance Services on Tuesday. Would anyone with experience with one of these companies or running their own agency be able to tell me about what it was like for them? Thanks in advance for the help.

@DHK I've read Jeff's book once and I'm reading it a second time because I felt like there was so much packed in there that you couldn't learn it all the first time through. I did not realize that he had started his DigitalBGA but will check in to them. Thanks!

Reactions: DHK
I don't think DBGA is looking for part time agents.

DBGA has a very strict call metric. Depending on how many hours per day you plan to work, it could be unrealistic for you. I want to say it's 300 dials, but I forget.

If you want to work part time, I'd suggest you go on your own. You could buy leads, but I think you're better off creating your own.

I work full time and content create part time.

Build out prospecting first. Then worry about selling. It's relatively cheap to keep your license.

DBGA has a very strict call metric. Depending on how many hours per day you plan to work, it could be unrealistic for you. I want to say it's 300 dials, but I forget.

If you want to work part time, I'd suggest you go on your own. You could buy leads, but I think you're better off creating your own.

I work full time and content create part time.

Build out prospecting first. Then worry about selling. It's relatively cheap to keep your license.

Thanks Travis. I've decided to go independent. I'm looking into buying leads to start but hope to transition to social media lead generation as quickly as I can.

Social media leads are getting very expensive unless you really know what you're doing.

Here's what I'd highly suggest for you:

Read about selling first. A great book is Question Based Selling.

Secondly, research what you want to sell. @DHK has a video out there about the different types of life and health insurance you can sell.. it's a 40 minute watch, which is a bit long for attention, but it's chalked with great information.

3)Figuring the type of life insurance you want to sell helps you define your target customer, which helps you figure out what is the most efficient way to market to them.

You can't go wrong with building out a website and contributing articles to it. It takes time, but imo if you aren't building leads to come to you, you're losing control of your quality of leads in the future AND it gives you a great opportunity to learn your products.

4) if you want to learn Facebook's ads, I'd take a course. You can throw a ton of money at Facebook and get garbage. I don't do Facebook ads at all. I hate them. Mainly because they're expensive to develop for me and I can't get the on the effin phone, ever.

You shouldn't buy a lead until you know who you're going to sell to and have an idea on how to sell. That's my opinion.

Back