Worried Plan F Prospects (2022) - MAPD for 2023 + nightmare

sshafran

Guru
1000 Post Club
NC
Two of my local "older" (80s) prospects came to my office last year - they were paying for Plan F, couldn't pass UW (didn't ask, could just tell by Rx list, cane, etc.). Plan F was going up to $400+ per person for 2023.

It was getting difficult to buy groceries. Seriously. It was. They don't live in the gated golf course community with $300 HOA fees.... he worked blue collar, she raised the kids... they drive a 2010 vehicle. They carry cash around because that's how they pay for things. We have a little deli nearby that a lot of people eat at - she mentioned that they'll go there and grab a sandwich and split it as a treat because it's so expensive now.

They had a normal list of providers for most prospects that age - several each.

AEP 2022 for 2023: Put them in a $0 MAPD plan w/ just over $5,600 Max OOP. Saved a ton on their Med Supp and PDP costs.

They came by today.

He had an aneurysm in 2023 and their health has declined even more. She said it's been a major year medically. Lots of doctors - she said every time she turns around there is another appointment.

She kept track of her copays throughout the year because I told her to - I knew in the back of my mind that we could do trial right and I explained that to her several times: "if this MAPD doesn't work, I promise I can get you Plan F back as long as you have never had a MAPD plan."

Worried in 2022 about the MAPD plan for 2023. Several meetings with me last year during AEP - gave it a chance.

Came in today - she said they would never even think about going back to Plan F. Sure, they paid copays - but it was night and day.

Paying for Plan F was a nightmare (her words, not mine). Grateful for alternative health insurance options.

Two of my local "older" (80s) prospects came to my office last year - they were paying for Plan F, couldn't pass UW (didn't ask, could just tell by Rx list, cane, etc.). Plan F was going up to $400+ per person for 2023.

It was getting difficult to buy groceries. Seriously. It was. They don't live in the gated golf course community with $300 HOA fees.... he worked blue collar, she raised the kids... they drive a 2010 vehicle. They carry cash around because that's how they pay for things. We have a little deli nearby that a lot of people eat at - she mentioned that they'll go there and grab a sandwich and split it as a treat because it's so expensive now.

They had a normal list of providers for most prospects that age - several each.

AEP 2022 for 2023: Put them in a $0 MAPD plan w/ just over $5,600 Max OOP. Saved a ton on their Med Supp and PDP costs.

They came by today.

He had an aneurysm in 2023 and their health has declined even more. She said it's been a major year medically. Lots of doctors - she said every time she turns around there is another appointment.

She kept track of her copays throughout the year because I told her to - I knew in the back of my mind that we could do trial right and I explained that to her several times: "if this MAPD doesn't work, I promise I can get you Plan F back as long as you have never had a MAPD plan."

Worried in 2022 about the MAPD plan for 2023. Several meetings with me last year during AEP - gave it a chance.

Came in today - she said they would never even think about going back to Plan F. Sure, they paid copays - but it was night and day.

Paying for Plan F was a nightmare (her words, not mine). Grateful for alternative health insurance options.

I was gonna crack a joke but instead I'll just say nice work, this is why I do this job (and the $$$$$$).

I had 3 people that I talked to today that had med-supps and switched to MAPD’s. One is now UHC SNP.

Three more med-supps down the drain.

Was not involved in the sales.

Last edited:
I've got a few. All in TX and I am moving them to the BCBS MAPD Flex Plan. $238/month, then medical covered at 100%. In theory, all the docs who accept assignment. In reality...all the docs who aren't in Central Texas and with Baylor. Which is all the docs in the Central TX.

Moved a 81 yr old plan F to mapd with $3400 moop . He was paying $407 a month for sup and pdp .Hooked a Gtl hip to cover cancer and days in hospital. He was so happy what I did for him .

Back