Would appreciate some answers to my Medicare options.

In my estimation, the decision as to Medicare Advantage versus traditional Medicare with a supplement, is cost and choice versus benefits. In other words, if you want the freedom to choose any facility or provider for a given condition (and make no bones about it, eventually you will have a condition or illness), then traditional Medicare with a supplement is the most flexible option for you. Some will say, wow ... an Advantage plan with a PPO option is just as flexible. Well, look at the out-of-pocket costs associated with that decision and let me know your feelings then.

In addition, if you select either Plan F or G (except for the Part "B" deductible under the G plan), everything is covered at 100% with no additional out of pocket expenses to you. From where I sit, that makes more sense than even some zero cost Advantage plans. Remember, cost is only an issue in the absence of value and the value of a supplement versus an advantage, in my opinion, is well worth the dollars spent.

All of this said, if you do not plan to travel, stay within your local community, and have existing providers and hospitals that are already in the Advantage plan network, then I would say try it. But as has been mentioned before, if you are not happy with the plan and you want to move back to traditional Medicare with a Supplement, the supplement plan will be underwritten and you could be declined.

I would meet with a Medicare Advantage agent first (make certain they are a broker representing many companies and not just one). Then, once you listen and learn, you should speak with anyone on this message board that is a licensed to sell supplement plans for quotes. Then you will have a full picture.

Best of luck and please let us know your final decision.

I specialize in Medicare and have put together a document for my clients I call "All About Medicare." This is admittedly biased toward Medicare Supplements that I believe to offer the best coverage. Let's face it, as we get older, "things in our body begin to breakdown." Thorough coverage is what most people need and want and that is what Medicare Supplements provide.

Medicare Advantage Plans do have a place, but you want to be generally healthy to realize the cost/benefit of Advantage Plans.

Here is the document for your information: Medicare

MedSupps are not better. Both MedSupps and MAPD have a place.

In some areas, MedSupps are unaffordable. And MAPD plans are much better.

Here is south Florida:

at 65 - Plan F $275
at 65 - Plan G $250
at 70 - Plan F $325
at 70 - Plan G $280-300
at 75 - Plan F $360-70
at 75 - Plan G $310-330
at 80 - Plan F $400
at 80 - Plan G $350-65​

MAPD plans here - $0 copays for many services, $2,500 - 3,400 MOOP, large networks, etc.

People don't get a MedSupp here. Nobody would. MedSupps are too expensive and the MAPD plans are too good.​

The biggest factor is where you live.

JJ2713, I do not necessarily agree with your conclusion. Once again, my comment as to cost and value applies here. If you have a couple that travels a great deal or desires a wider provider choice if they get a cancer or a dread disease diagnosis, for example; though there are many options in South Florida, perhaps there are speciality facilities (MD Anderson for example) that may be better. Again, I am assuming they would want choice and no matter the network size, don't you find that the one facility or physician they would want does not participate with that plan?

Where I am in Western NC, there are a few MADP's that are available and many agents/brokers sell them and there is a fit. However, when we are talking about the MOOP, that would break their backs and this is where the program has its pitfalls.

Anyway, we serve the client as best as possible and find the best product for the need. There is no one solution (thank goodness) and choice is an awesome thing!

Thanks again to everyone that have replied to my initial questions. If any of you are in the Dallas area, I would like to hear what Supplement (MS) plans you find to be the most competitive priced? Same question for Advantage (MA) plans?

I'm in the Dallas area. Let me know if you still need or want help.

JJ2713, I do not necessarily agree with your conclusion. Once again, my comment as to cost and value applies here. If you have a couple that travels a great deal or desires a wider provider choice if they get a cancer or a dread disease diagnosis, for example; though there are many options in South Florida, perhaps there are speciality facilities (MD Anderson for example) that may be better. Again, I am assuming they would want choice and no matter the network size, don't you find that the one facility or physician they would want does not participate with that plan?

Where I am in Western NC, there are a few MADP's that are available and many agents/brokers sell them and there is a fit. However, when we are talking about the MOOP, that would break their backs and this is where the program has its pitfalls.

Anyway, we serve the client as best as possible and find the best product for the need. There is no one solution (thank goodness) and choice is an awesome thing!

It depends on where someone lives.

Why would anyone choose a MedSupp when their premium alone would equal the MOOP on a MAPD? Just for the possibility of wanting to go somewhere for treatment in another state?

They can get a PPO and see out-of-network providers. Yes, there's a higher MOOP, but they only pay for services as they go as opposed to paying all the time no matter what with a MedSupp premium.

They can save the money not spent on premiums and most services and apply it to the MOOP if they ever really get sick.

Many MAPDs in south Florida also have $0 copays for many services

The MAPDs in South Florida and some other areas are different. If you were in Florida and selling here you would not be selling MedSupp only.

There is a reason MAPDs are popular and becoming more popular and will overtake MedSupps.

You can't compare western NC to south Florida and some other areas.

Of course, present all options to a client and let them decide.

Thanks to JJ2713, isaias,David Brock, William Clevenger, somar, Todd King, LostDollar, and kstein, for taking time to reply. Your input is much appreciated!!

Thanks again to all of you that have taken time to generously share your knowledge and experience regarding my Medicare questions.

Now, I'm looking for recommendations for an agency, an General Agency I suppose one would call it, that I can work with to market the M Advantage and M Supps.

I would work primarily the Dallas area market and part time as I write P & C business M-F during the day.

Thanks again to all of you that have taken time to generously share your knowledge and experience regarding my Medicare questions.

Now, I'm looking for recommendations for an agency, an General Agency I suppose one would call it, that I can work with to market the M Advantage and M Supps.

I would work primarily the Dallas area market and part time as I write P & C business M-F during the day.

I can help you with that too. PM me your contact info if you want to talk.

Back