Would appreciate some answers to my Medicare options.

I turned 65 and signed up Medicare Part B and have been billed $402 .00 for 3 months of coverage. I have not paid any of the premium because I have been trying to decide whether to buy a Medicare Supplement or a Medicare Advantage plan. So far it's my understanding....

1) one of the main differences in the Supplements vs Advantage plans is the Advantage plans seem to be limited in their coverage if you have to go out of your local care area if you have a need for specialized treatment. Is this true? I live the Dallas area and have local access to major hospitals. I'm thinking because of this an Advantage plan would be ok because of my access olcally and the chance I have to travel to get treatment is lower than if I lived in a rural area.

2) Aren't the extra dental, vision, workout plans on Advantages plans really just "teasers" that can't pay out much because of very limited calendar year limits?

3) If I make a decision to go with a Advantage or straight Supplement, I won't need to pay the $133 monthly premium for Part B, correct? Because the Advantage and/or Supplement plan replaces Part B and along with it the $133.00 premium?

4) I am healthy, athletic, run and cycle several times a week, presently take no medications, no diagnosed diseases other than recommended cataract surgery. However, I am way overdue for a through physical exam and plan to have this done in a few months when I have made my decisions and have coverage in place. If you were me, what plan would you go with? I'm leaning towards an Advantage plan , because
1) there are o premum plans in my area, 2) with a large amount of local access, seems the negative about Advantage plans not have the same coverage nationally is negated 3) If my health changes and/or I in the future, needed medications on a daily basis, can't I change each open enrollment period to another plan that covers out of pocket drugs?

Any corrections, comment and answers would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

PS If I sign up for an Advantage or Supplement in a week or so... do I still need to pay the $402 premium for Part B?

Keep it simple and think long term. Your health will change, these MA plans will change, networks will change, and your ability to navigate these decisions will change. Original Medicare; HD F (or G) and a basic drug plan for now. Only thing you may need to change in future will be Rx plan. I recommend HD plan because you can save the premium difference every year and your premiums will be much more stable.

Thanks again to all of you that have taken time to generously share your knowledge and experience regarding my Medicare questions.

Now, I'm looking for recommendations for an agency, an General Agency I suppose one would call it, that I can work with to market the M Advantage and M Supps.

I would work primarily the Dallas area market and part time as I write P & C business M-F during the day.
There is an IMO I work with that I would recommend you contact. I work with their LTC person who I will ask you to call (let him know I referred you) and he will put you in touch with the proper person. Contact Mike Baker 717.350.5888 and I wish you all the best.

@CC1975 last logged in 12/5/2018.

Perhaps these recent comments will offer some clarity.
It's my fault for bumping an old thread Bob. I was just looking for a place I could post the video I ran across of Mr. Haney talking about Medicare(which had only been around a couple of years when Mr. Haney explained how it works). :laugh:

Back