Would You Open an Agency for P&c Only?

You have to separate the agent from the agency for a moment.

To write multiple lines requires individuals who can focus on those lines. As an agency, if you want to write P&C and then write life and health as well, you need two agents, one focused on each side of the business. Perhaps 3.

Want to write commercial, you need to add an agent to focus on commercial.

If you try to do it all yourself, even with a CSR doing the grunt work, you'll run into all sorts of issues and will never master more than 1 line of business.

Or, as someone suggested, as an agency, you can focus on one line and outsource the other lines as appropriate. Face it, doesn't take much to write a 20 year term policy if that is the right thing to do, but once it goes more complex than that, outsource it if you need to.

Bottom line though, take care of your clients.

Dan

Yes, I think I want to focus on p&c but outsource life. I'll be licensed and split the commission to another agency focusing on life. Given this setup would you advertise that your agency sells life too or just kinda slip in oh btw I know a guy who have great products for life?

I would agree that Commercial and Personal insurance requires more than one agent but it is possible to specialize in auto, home, and life by yourself. The CE on Personal Auto, Home, Special Lines is very light so you can spend most of your time mastering the Life side. After selling P & C for a while you may want to start selling life. You can make so much more and you are not selling on price!

do you think its silly to put

property and casualty insurance on one side and then home business auto LIFE on the other?

or i should just use "all forms of insurance"

do you think its silly to put

property and casualty insurance on one side and then home business auto LIFE on the other?

or i should just use "all forms of insurance"

Yes, very silly. Property and Casualty doesn't mean much to most people, no need to put it on the card at all, unless you only do commercial and not workers comp.

Totally silly.

Also, don't use "all forms of insurance". You clearly don't do this, though I know what you were after. You could use a tag line of something like "For all of your insurance needs", which is a little less specific, but will allow you to refer out that guy that comes in needing insurance on his internationally registered yacht or on his Formula 1 race car.

Dan

You sure are taking a long time to decide what to put on your card.

yes, lol im kinda ocd when it comes to detail i can't help it, i am way too obsessed over detail.

also still building on website, trying to just match everything together before launching

yes, lol im kinda ocd when it comes to detail i can't help it, i am way too obsessed over detail.

also still building on website, trying to just match everything together before launching

Those details makes no difference bro...you need to step back and realize that your business card and website won't sell you anything in the business world...nobody cares about the details on your card, just as you don't care about the details on other people's business cards.

There are 2 different types of sales people; 1. Those who sell and worry about detail later and 2. those who worry about detail and sell later. Both types can be successful, but it will take a lot longer for the detailed person to make it and they better have a lot more money to float themselves. The most important thing is getting money coming in the door and selling some polices. Worry about the extra stuff in your down time while you are sitting on your couch at night watching the game. Between the hours of 9am and 8pm worry about selling policies, don't even think about how your website looks or if people will like your logo, etc.

Who really cares about your card. Use a simple one now and change it when you start making some money if you don't like it. I sell over the phone and so the only people who really get my card are carrier reps and I could care less what they think.

Back