"Would you sell your mom this plan?"

I like MA plans. I also like supplements.

I usually tell people to look into supps if they can afford them.

However, I have had people who came to me that have had a MA plan for years (prior to 05 when they went main stream) and they work great for them.

I am fortunate to be in a city where MA plans have proven themselves. In cities where they are new, they still may have a long way to go.

You really need to look into this subject a little deeper. She can only go back to her original med supp. NOt anyone she wants. She can go to united world or unicare. Those are the only ones that I know of exceptng GI from a MA. Read the medicare book, call medicare, call the companies you write for. They CANT do it. Its up to the company if they want to.

Look senior, I'm tired of having this debate with you. I know what the Medicare & You book states and I know what the carriers I use state. Again, you read the Medicare & You book on page 75 and tell me what it says. Things may be different in Indiana, but don't tell me what I can and can't do here in Georgia.

I just don't like the "ifs" and "buts" with these part C plans. My gut says for her to keep her med sup for now based on her history.

Having made the statement shown above, why would the thought even cross your mind to put her with a Part C plan?

There are some really good posts in this thread regarding the cost but the best post, in my opinion, is the one by Cenla. I believe this is the one that should be your main consideration in your decision making process.

Cenla said: "Also, it's not as simple as her physician "accepting Part C". With Private Fee For Service plans there is no contract and they are free to accept some plans and not others so you want to investigate acceptance of that particular plan. With PFFS, providers can decide to accept it today and to not accept it tomorrow."

If your mother gets really sick don't you want her to have the very best care available? What if the doctor who can help her the most isn't in the network or refuses to accept the PFFS plan?

The quality of a person's health determines their quality of life. Why would you jeopardize that to save a couple of bucks?

I'm not being a smart-ass, but I really don't understand why you asked the question in the first place. That is a question I would expect a prospect to ask, not an experienced, well informed, professional insurance agent. Especially one who works in the senior market.

With PFFS plans, doctors are not contracted, rather deemed into accepting the payment terms and conditions.

I talked to a provider relations person at Humana and she said they can accept a PFFS on a case by case basis. That may cause some concern about putting someone on who has high claims, if there is a problem with billing.

SMAN, since you seem to know everything and obviously know how to interpret the medicare guide book(assuming you read it and not just took someones word for it) , why dont you try to put someone that comes off an MA plan with any of Great American's med supp companies. Like I said before, it is a company decision.

Back