Writing Policies Out-Of-State

lukhix21

I just got my life license in Colorado (where I live) but I'm moving to Michigan for school in a couple weeks. Can I still write policies for Coloradans without needing another license, or do I have to get a non-resident Michigan license and can only sell to Michigan residents?

If CO is your resident state and your school location is temporary. You are good with what you have.

It does not matter where you are located when selling the policy to a CO resident. If you are licensed you can do it.

If you want to sell to MI residents, you will need a MI non-resident license.

If you change your resident address to MI, then you would need a MI resident license. And a CO non-resident to sell to people who live in CO.

Last edited:
I just got my life license in Colorado (where I live) but I'm moving to Michigan for school in a couple weeks. Can I still write policies for Coloradans without needing another license, or do I have to get a non-resident Michigan license and can only sell to Michigan residents?

Your resident license is where you are legally a resident (most states look at where you vote, driver's license, etc.). Once you move to Michigan, for school, you are not automatically considered a Michigan resident -- but you will absolutely have to get a Michigan non-resident license (with Colorado continuing to be your resident license). With both licenses you will be able to conduct business in both states. Be careful as to the people in both states you are doing business with, vis a vis what states they are a resident of. Good luck!

I have a lot of respect for ever single agent on here that answered.

I would say that this is situation could be more complicated than it initally seems.

Professionally I think it cant hurt to have both state licenses.

However as to which is the primary state - ah....Id make sure you research this more in depth. The potential fact that you are a "college student" temporarily "residing in another state" may not fully comform with running a business in another state, 'temporarily.'

Back