2 Small Contractors-6 in Each Group what Could Go Wrong?

What DOL rules are you concerned about violating...in paragraph one?

Discrimination in providing benefits equally? Each of these owners has said they want to pay for benefits for half of their employees at the most. Each has all employees working over 30 hours a week.

I recall a seminar at NAHU conference talking about rules that don't allow manipulating hours to look like some are full and some are part time when it doesn't match reality. So the only way would be to make some salary, then exclude hourly employees, but the owners don't want to do that. In off season, they want to pay everyone just when they work.

Do you have a suggestion for rewarding the ones they want to be sure to keep on board, and still being compliant? As it stands now, one of the contractors has agreed to look at plans where the employer share would be 50% of EE premium. the owner and top manager are each paying about $300/month now on individual POS plans I wrote for them, no tax credits, both make good salaries, owner is on payroll, too.

Put the "others" on 1099... if possible. Other than that tell them its time to sit at the grown up table if they want to provide health insurance for employees.

This sounds like the type of client that could take up much more time than they are worth.... just thinking out loud... lol.

Im with scagnt on this one. Sounds shady and painful.

neither of these cases meet participation requirements (70% minimum in my state). outside of that, i'd say spend 5 minutes reviewing UNDERWRITING REQUIREMENTS for the carriers in your state. neither of these two groups will "fly". move on

Back