401 K Withdrawals

ineedhelp

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Male age 45 with Leukemia. Has $$ in 401 k and needs to access some of it. Can he do that without incurring penalties ?

Retirement Plans FAQs regarding Hardship Distributions

Whether a need is immediate and heavy depends on the facts and circumstances. Certain expenses are deemed to be immediate and heavy, including: (1) certain medical expenses; (2) costs relating to the purchase of a principal residence; (3) tuition and related educational fees and expenses; (4) payments necessary to prevent eviction from, or foreclosure on, a principal residence; (5) burial or funeral expenses; and (6) certain expenses for the repair of damage to the employee's principal residence. Expenses for the purchase of a boat or television would generally not qualify for a hardship distribution. A financial need may be immediate and heavy even if it was reasonably foreseeable or voluntarily incurred by the employee.
(Reg. §1.401(k)-1(d)(3)(iii))

A hardship distribution may not exceed the amount of the employee's need. However, the amount required to satisfy the financial need may include amounts necessary to pay any taxes or penalties that may result from the distribution.
(Reg. §1.401(k)-1(d)(3)(iv)(A))

Basically, having access to Qualified Plan funds and avoiding the penalties are two different things.

Last edited:
Male age 45 with Leukemia. Has $$ in 401 k and needs to access some of it. Can he do that without incurring penalties ?

Loan Feature?

I quess my question would be if I was battling Cancer what do I need and to improve my outlook penalties be damned.

Back