5 Plex

My understanding is that Personal Lines insurers typically go up to 4 unit dwellings. After this, such as with a 5 unit dwelling it goes into the commercial world.

Last edited:
I just had a 6plex get turned down by everyone. I had to send it to travelers.

In my case it's 2 triplexes with separate addresses that share an overhead decorative beam that connect the two. Even calling it a triplex is generous. It's one apt up, one down and a studio in the basement. All have their own outside entrances. There are definitely some odd animals out there. But underwriters everywhere say the decorative beam connecting the two separate buildings make it a single 6 plex or apartment building. I think an apartment building needs some shared amenities or entrance at least or even all the units to be connected to each other.

What carriers offer insurance for 5 plex's in the state of Texas? I have been having the hardest time find a carrier. American Modern, Foremost don't do 5 plex's

That's because you are trying to shove a square peg in a round hole.

As many others have pointed out, this is a commercial property, an apartment building, and it looks like you are trying to place it with personal lines carriers. When I used to write personal lines, there was only 1 personal lines carrier that would consider a 5 unit apartment building. I write stuff like that all the time with commercial carriers.

You really sound like you'd benefit from working under someone for a while.

Last edited:
In downtown Minneapolis you can't do anything without someone screaming gentrification. He will probably leave it be. There is a big push to tear down these smaller buildings and build big buildings. There is a moratorium on single family housing so they can sandwich more people in.

That's because you are trying to shove a square peg in a round hole.

As many others have pointed out, this is a commercial property, an apartment building, and it looks like you are trying to place it with personal lines carriers. When I used to write personal lines, there was only 1 personal lines carrier that would consider a 5 unit apartment building. I write stuff like that all the time with commercial carriers.

You really sound like you'd benefit from working under someone for a while.

Maybe so...But everything I've learned about this business; I've learned from the interwebs. And this forum. Now I know to quote multi-family over 4 units with Travelers before going the E&S route! Thanks Forums!

Back