7 Dos and Don’ts for Calling Referral Prospects

Just commented about #1 on the list in another thread. Josh likes asking the question, I don't.. Whatever works is what you should do no matter what others say. :1cool:.

Just commented about #1 on the list in another thread. Josh likes asking the question, I don't.. Whatever works is what you should do no matter what others say. :1cool:.

Josh, may use it but I NEVER would.

1. Don’t say “How are you today?” in your opening statement. This screams “telemarketer.”

Josh has seen with split testing that it works better than not using it. Some people are going to be pissed off about it, most think it's just how you start a conversation. The argument "they're going to know you're a telemarketer" is a pretty weak one. They're going to figure it out anyway, why try to trick them into thinking anything else?

For me the reason reason why I strongly suggest it is that accross hundreds of thousands of calls it works better than not using it. I haven't had calls in every state on every product so there are probably some exceptions to it, but accross the board I've seen it work MUCH better than not using it.

I think it might be residential vs businesses. Residential consumers might like "how are you doing today" but I can tell you that I've tested both methods for biz owners and not asking works better.

I think it might be residential vs businesses. Residential consumers might like "how are you doing today" but I can tell you that I've tested both methods for biz owners and not asking works better.

On both I've seen it work better than not. An important consideration though is what the person dialing feels comfortable with. Even if it works great in most areas with most telemarketers, if you don't feel comfortable with it, that can hurt the results quite a bit.

On both I've seen it work better than not. An important consideration though is what the person dialing feels comfortable with. Even if it works great in most areas with most telemarketers, if you don't feel comfortable with it, that can hurt the results quite a bit.

The only thing that actually works is measuring. Markets are different. Test out a few scripts and measure the results. There is no single script that works - only the one that works for you. People would be surprised on how subtle tweaks in a script can have a big effect.

A long time ago, when I was doing political fundraising, asking "How is the weather in your part of the state?" was always a better opener than asking "How are you today?"

Back