7 Dos and Don’ts for Calling Referral Prospects

Josh, may use it but I NEVER would.

I personally don't use it for a different reason. It is a dishonest question. Do you really care about how they are doing? You are just hoping to hear something vague and move on.

I personally don't use it for a different reason. It is a dishonest question. Do you really care about how they are doing? You are just hoping to hear something vague and move on.

It's an honest question because I really do care how they're doing. You don't care how they're doing? Good luck with that approach.

As said earlier, it's a common greeting in our culture. Only over-analysis of its meaning would result in a negative conclusion about its place at the start of a call.

Sent from my iPad using InsForums

It's an honest question because I really do care how they're doing. You don't care how they're doing? Good luck with that approach.

As said earlier, it's a common greeting in our culture. Only over-analysis of its meaning would result in a negative conclusion about its place at the start of a call.

So when someone starts telling you about that pain in their side and how it goes seems to move when they have a bowel movement? Or how Mr. Fluffy isn't feeling well today and has the sniffles and she thinks it is because she bought that new cat food, but Save A Lot doesn't have the old brand anymore and while Kroger does, she doesn't like having to take the transfer to get there, but Mr. Fluffy seems really upset and hasn't eaten in 3 days and she just might have to do it to get the right food for Mr. Fluffy....

You really care about that? I don't. I care about making money by helping people solve problems using insurance. If I can help someone with that, I'm all over it. If I can't, I'm on to finding the person I can. Never ask a question if you don't want to know the answer.

So when someone starts telling you about that pain in their side and how it goes seems to move when they have a bowel movement? Or how Mr. Fluffy isn't feeling well today and has the sniffles and she thinks it is because she bought that new cat food, but Save A Lot doesn't have the old brand anymore and while Kroger does, she doesn't like having to take the transfer to get there, but Mr. Fluffy seems really upset and hasn't eaten in 3 days and she just might have to do it to get the right food for Mr. Fluffy....

You really care about that? I don't. I care about making money by helping people solve problems using insurance. If I can help someone with that, I'm all over it. If I can't, I'm on to finding the person I can. Never ask a question if you don't want to know the answer.

Yes. I care about whatever concerns them. No matter what concerns them, even in the hyperbolic scenarios you presented. If they start opening up to me about problems and I genuinely express concern them I have begun a relationship that has a increased chance of making them a client. I make a lot of money by relating to the things my prospect has on their mind. NOT by focusing on making money. Counter-intuitive, but a path to big success. I'm never concerned about asking a question because I always want to know the answer. Always.

Last edited:
Yes. I care about whatever concerns them. No matter what concerns them, even in the hyperbolic scenarios you presented. If they start opening up to me about problems and I genuinely express concern them I have begun a relationship that has a increased chance of making them a client. I make a lot of money by relating to the things my prospect has on their mind. NOT by focusing on making money. Counter-intuitive, but a path to big success. I'm never concerned about asking a question because I always want to know the answer. Always.

That is great. You should ask that question then, you mean it. I don't. Generally you should avoid asking questions when you don't care about the answer. So I don't ask it.

JMO, but that is why it is on the list. Most telemarketers don't give a **** what the answer is. If someone truly cares what the answer is then they should ask it.

That is great. You should ask that question then, you mean it. I don't. Generally you should avoid asking questions when you don't care about the answer. So I don't ask it.

JMO, but that is why it is on the list. Most telemarketers don't give a **** what the answer is. If someone truly cares what the answer is then they should ask it.

While I do care how my prospect is doing, the point I've made with each post in this thread is that it doesn't matter. It's the most familiar form of greeting in our culture. One says "how are you," the other says some variation of "fine," then on to the purpose. Not to be taken any more literally than trying to make the case that we can only say "God Bless You" to those for whom we genuinely do wish the blessings of the Creator of the Universe at the time of their sneeze. It's being overthunk.

Back