A Crazy Client

Mark, we respectfully disagree as to this extra form's necessity. Do you clear it through legal of the companies you write for?

Yes, my form has been cleared. That form is an example of what you should have. What is on the application is usually written to help the insurance company and not the agent.

I've had a couple of agents here lately, that this form saved from getting fired. Sometimes an insurance company will go on a witch hunt. If you write a bunch of policies are you bound to run into dishonest clients. Some people just want to get one over on the client. The companies that I'm with know that I do this and how I take time to stress to them how important it is to tell the company and I the truth.

It is okay if you dont want to use the forum or don't think that you will need it. I once thought that I didn't need it. But I'm now glad that I use it on a lot of my cases.
I had a friend talk me into starting to use it, and it was not long after that I needed it to show to the insurance company. The client told the insurance company that he told me he was a smoker, and I didn't write it down. Which was not true. I showed the company the form, and they put it in my file and that was the end of it. I'm not saying the form will always save you or it will save you from everything.

I take the time to also always pause and tell the client how important it is to be honest with me and how the company can find out everything about them. I go over the MIB/Rx and couple of other things they do.

The insurance companies know that I do this and I think it helps me in the underwriting dept. They know what I'm about and how I stress this to every client. Underwriters not only underwrite your clients, but the agent also.

The form that I showed you guys is very generic. It is to show the concept. I keep it in my records. It does not go in with the application. I have it if I need it.

Before you ask, yes I've seen the form be used to show the Ins Dept also, to show some proof to the insurance dept, and have something to put in their file, if you know what I mean. Everytime someone makes a complaint, they have to have you write a statement and put something in your file. This form goes a long way.

But again, you don't have to use it. It's just free advise that someone talked me into and now I use it and it has already helped me out.

I get to see things that the avg insurance agent never gets to see.

Again we just disagree about the need, but yet, we both do alot of the same things. I tend to use more initials next to points of emphasis and a signed illustration.

the initials thing comes from the massive securities requirements RReps must follow these days. Following the securities rules anymore in my case requires about 30 different spots where a signature or initials are required.

My next question getting back to the 1st post. How often do you guys have a client that you just won't write for any reason? Because they are crazy or whatever reason.

Not very often but it does happen:

1) Don't want you to disclose a condition "...but I don't want the insurance company to know that."

2) Sued their agent/carrier "...yeah, I'm looking into suing my company because they..."

3) Wants a limited plan "....I saw a play for $82 a month and that's what I want. I know it doesn't cover drugs and other stuff but..."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
4) Broke "....but make sure the first payment doesn't come out until the 22nd - so again, not this week but the following week."

Last edited:
My personal opinion is this. If a client is inclined to lie, cheat, steal or sue when they don't get their way, an extra form is not going to stop them.

If I were to use such a form, and I don't, my only purpose would be to smoke out the liars. Once discovering there were not truthful, my next step would be to walk away.

I fire a handful of clients & prospective clients every year and I do so with great pleasure.

Luckily in Florida it is a felony to lie on an insurance application and is stated on the app. and initialed.

Since some of you are experiencing a problem with liars, having them all sign a special form is worthwhile.

I find that health ins. requires a fair amount of time to be spent letting them know the restrictions such as waiting times.

One of my first lessons in sales was 'buyers are liars'.

I think the same applies to HIV/AIDS as well. <--- Here is the link to a crazy lady, that says that the hippa law requires all insurance companies to take clients with hiv/aids and can not turn them down.

Is this lady crazy or what?

"The whole world loves a nut everyone loves a weirdo!" :twitchy: Obviously she knows what she knows and no amount of facts quoted dissuades her. In her posting on this subject she did not quote one factual source just someone she "knows". Almost sounds like she has embraced an urban legend. Wonder how old she is????

When people tell me outright they lie on their tax returns, that's pretty much a no-go for me. (Geez, I've only just met them!) Then again, that kind of mental thought has stopped me from eating at restaurants that have signs "cash only". I once had a referral who essentially asked me about investments he could "hide" from the government.

I'm all for playing by the rules, and minimizing taxes, but when it comes to outright lying, I can't agree.

Back