A dying agents warning ‼️

OK I have a unique situation. I own a brick and mortar Medicare agency in my home town that my wife ran for years. She made every client come in and meet with her face to face in the office. That attracted a higher income demo than most Medicare agents work with.

She sold 85% Med sups to 15% Advantage plans.

This year I am helping out in the office more and I am trying to cross some of them over to Advantage plans that have been calling in with their rate increases. (Med sup people always think they can only change during AEP no matter how many times you explain it to them.)

Hardly any of them will consider Advantage. I have one today that will change over. But it’s hard to get people on Original Medicare to even consider it. They all have a “friend” on one of those Advantage plans with a horrible experience.

I’m a big believer in describing both and just going with what they choose. But I can tell you, people with a bit more money who are the type that want to come to an office rather than enroll over the phone or have an agent come to their home (and there is a huge number of these people who prefer the office) do tend to favor Original Medicare.

Well, I guess there is plenty of people in the other 46% to make up 100% of my Medicare book. No scare tactics, I simply state no network, no referrals, no pre auth, no surprise bills......they end me there. Or, I hear all the time "Oh no......... my friend/relative/neighbor is on MAPD, and after hearing what they've told me......". Discussion ends. Heard that at least 15 times in past week. My book is middle/higher income, I refer out the low income MAPD suitable folks. Love my book, my clients love me. Reflecting back, wouldn't have changed a thing on how it was built.
Every one of these things you tell them are trying to scare them and steer them away from MA and into your wheelhouse. I don’t care what you sell but can’t believe you can show someone on eluquis the stand alone PDP and they are just fine with paying 590.00 in January and then 150.00/month going forward. That same drug would cost them around 600.00 total on a good MAPD. I show every client a G plan and print off cheapest stand alone drug plan and compare it to MAPD without bias. They ask me which way they should go and I say that’s an individual decision.

Amazes me the people who actually sell both and know how MAPD works don’t have alll these problems you describe but the MSO people are sure 95% of all 35 million on MAPD are literally screwed.

And the income thing that always comes up makes no sense. I’ve got multi millionaires on MAPD’s because they have money sense and can see how much better off they are financially going that way. No doubt that is the way I will go when I turn 65 and I’m not hurting for money.

OK I have a unique situation. I own a brick and mortar Medicare agency in my home town that my wife ran for years. She made every client come in and meet with her face to face in the office. That attracted a higher income demo than most Medicare agents work with.

She sold 85% Med sups to 15% Advantage plans.

This year I am helping out in the office more and I am trying to cross some of them over to Advantage plans that have been calling in with their rate increases. (Med sup people always think they can only change during AEP no matter how many times you explain it to them.)

Hardly any of them will consider Advantage. I have one today that will change over. But it’s hard to get people on Original Medicare to even consider it. They all have a “friend” on one of those Advantage plans with a horrible experience.

I’m a big believer in describing both and just going with what they choose. But I can tell you, people with a bit more money who are the type that want to come to an office rather than enroll over the phone or have an agent come to their home (and there is a huge number of these people who prefer the office) do tend to favor Original Medicare.
The ones like that are the hard-headed know-it-alls who think they have it all figured out.

I mean, no offense “Jane,” but no matter how much research you’ve done, you still don’t even know 1% about the industry or these plans.

They just heard some fear-mongering sensationalized nonsense and they are hard-headed and have their mind made up, regardless of what the truth is.

The people that come to me demanding a med-supp, I don’t even bother trying to explain their other option anymore. They “know it all” and have it “all figured out,” so they can enjoy wasting their money (in most cases).

Especially sad because I’m in a state where a carrier does absolutely zero underwriting for Medigap and will approve a unicorn with HIV.

Some people are just stubborn, stupid, and love wasting money to “feel” good. No, don’t listen to the licensed expert advisor who does this day-in-and-day-out. Listen to your neighbor, Linda. Great strategy.

Last edited:
Back