A Rookie Question

Peter Marrero

I am newly licensed and currently training with an FMO. Based on my training it sounds like the breakdown for Original Medicare vs MA/ MA PDP is the following :

Original Medicare- Mostly upper Middle Class/ Affluent class
Ma/MAPD- Middle class/Low income

Is that correct? Thanks for your feedback

I am newly licensed and currently training with an FMO. Based on my training it sounds like the breakdown for Original Medicare vs MA/ MA PDP is the following :

You could add MA/MAPD for people who think they know what they are doing, but don't. So your job is to educate and guide.

Peter that’s basically overall correct in how it works out .99.9% of the referrals I get from low middle class to low income want no premium period . It’s mapd . Now if it’s T-65 and in poor health I’ll still show all a med sup . Now middle to upper income I show both sup and mapd . Almost all middle income and above I show both . But most middle income still pick mapd . Upper income usually want no hospital bills and pick a sup .

You could add MA/MAPD for people who think they know what they are doing, but don't. So your job is to educate and guide.

This ^^^^^

If you are going to stereotype everyone and try to put them in a box that you create you are doing everyone a disservice. That is what agents that have no idea they are doing, so they peddle a product based on everything is free.

Caveat, I am NOT an agent and I have very minimal understanding of MA plans.
I use Original Medicare plus Medigap plus PDP.

Just a comment for your consideration. The pricing and features of PDP's are getting ready to change significantly.

This may create changes in the prospect base interested in MAPD plans. You may see modifications in the historic categories.

I actually think Plan N is better than MAPD for those with no savings but decent SSA, but that’s a TX answer.

But you are going at it wrong. There are 4 parts to Medicare plus Medigap.

Your job is to educate.
Your job is to make sure they understand the rules of OM to MAPD and vice versa.
Your job is to explain the prescription costs.

If you go into every meeting with a goal of “no one ever calls and says they didn’t know that”, you’ll do fine.

My biggest complaint about agents are the people who didn’t understand they couldn’t use AEP to go from MAPD to OM/Medigap without underwriting.

My affluent people seem to be smart enough and have managed money well enough to see they are far better off on MAPD then Med Sup and crappy PDP but that’s just my experience. But show them all their options and let them decide. That’s where so many agents go wrong is they try to just sell one product and then the client runs into a real agent and they end up switching bc they didn’t know the other options existed which is great for my business.

And I run into tons of middle to lower income people that have had med sups crammed down their throats that call me wanting mapd. I’ve probably moved 60 sups yr mapd the last 3 yrs. Every single one called me as a referral to change. I’ve not received even one single call about a person being unhappy or wanted to switch back to a sup. Those are facts not an article.

The pricing and features of PDP's are getting ready to change significantly.

This may create changes in the prospect base interested in MAPD plans.

True, the PDP market will change for 2024 but I think educated consumers are not ready or willing to give up unfettered access to health care and all the other garbage that accompanies managed care just to possibly save a few bucks on a drug plan.

13 years ago when I switched to Medicare the least expensive drug plan was $16. Some groused about paying that much for something they won't use but most bellied up to the bar and bought a plan that wasn't any better than the current $7 & $11 plans.

I have no idea what will happen during AEP but I don't see a significant impact in my business model. And I sure as hell won't start peddling MA plans and I don't think many of my clients will walk . . .

Every one of my clients ASKED for a Medigap plan. Every one.

Back