A trick that might help you make the close on a sale.

Yeah, but even though you're doing the right thing for the client, wouldn't the commission be lower?
yes, and you don't have to worry about the para med holding up the underwriting process and you can get paid fast and hope that the next agent doesn't show them coverage that will not just pay off the house but actually protect the family for years down the road. Why not show them a policy that covers 1,500,000 for $140/ month and actually give them their money's worth. Then you get paid the same or better commission and actually do what you claim, "Protect Families." Then when they realize you actually did the right thing for them you become highly respected in the community getting natural referrals and cross selling opportunities. :idea:

Before anyone is critcal of the cost, do you have any idea of age or underwriting? What if the guy was a 45 yr. old smoker at standard rates? That's higher than $135 a month.

Are you concerned that the price might be high, or that Mark actually used a close you didn't think of to protect this guy's family?

Banner Life. 40 yr old smoker. Standard rates. $134.79 mo.
Cincinnati Life, same info. $124.26

My guess (knowing Mark) is that if the guy was 30 yrs. old and preferred plus, the price wouldn't have been $135!

Rick

This is the best life insurance sales tip I heard in a long time, by far!!

The agent was great - did an analysis by turning to me and saying "you died yesterday" then turned to my wife and said "ok, explain to me what you'd do."

$350,000 face for $140/ month. Nice job. Was he 50 years old? Sounds like a non-med product which will issue fast. When you see a nice house and toys this may mean he's up to his ears in debt and the balloon payment maybe coming. I see poor people with lot's of expensive toys, but that doesn't make them financially sound. Fanny Mae and Freddie Mac had made a lot of folks feel all warm and fuzzy for a while. Hopefully the client wasn't 30 and healthy where he could have gotten $500,000 in coverage on a 20 year term for $20-$30 per month. You'll have to hope he has no insurance agent friends.

He had agreed with this amount. I came up with a good price, which I can’t remember; I think it was about $140.00 a month.

Did you happen to read this part of my post?

LOL. You guys are very funny and ready to jump on a guy at a moments notice. I wrote this idea early this morning. I can't remember the exact numbers on each of the many clients that I have written in the past. I did put on the post that I could not remember the exact price. But I guess you didnt' catch this or read it. I was trying to get my point across, not the figures. I didn't think the figures matter on this sales idea. It could have been 100,000 or a 10 million, and the price could have been 20 or 1000 dollars. The idea would have not changed. So I tried to get close to the figures. I can remember a lot of things about the sale, which I think is better then most agents.

I assure you that I wrote the guy the best price possible at the time. You won't believe this, but I don't write products based on commissions. I'm commited to give my clients the best price that I can find for what is best for them.

To be honest with you, I've done this closing a ton of times. I can't remember ages of every clients and the amounts they pay.

I can remember thinking, that it was a lot of money, but this guy needed the insurance and he could afford it.

I have a lot more sales ideas coming. It takes me 20 mins to write them down and then I have to go over them with a fine comb and pick, to make sure there is nothing you guys can attack me on, with my post. If I didn't have to worry about this, I could post ton more ideas.

A side note, is that I'm the worst speller in the world, and most of the time, I have to get my wife, who is an English Major, to check my work.

I could write an entire post on client's priorities. Truth be told a lot of clients that say they can't afford it, really can afford it. They just need to change their priorities.

I have ran into clients that pay $150.00 a month for directv and cant afford to pay $30.00 a month to protect their families. Maybe they really can't afford both. But downgrade the tv to a lesser plan and add the insurance.

Also before anyone says anything, can you remember the exact price and amounts of a sale you made a long time ago? What I can remember is that I always give my clients the best that I can find. That is why I work for more then just one company to insure they get the best product and prices. No one company can always be the best.

Did you really think that the person that I sold was young and that I sold him something that would have normally cost 20 bucks, and I sold it to him for $140.00?

Also, what makes you think that I sold him term insurance? But to be honest with you, it does not matter what plan I sold him, or the amounts or his age. The point was how I closed the sale and how others can copy what I done to help them make a sale.

Mark Rosenthal

When I was a captive agent, briefly, the head guy sounded a lot like you. You got the sense that he would never go hungry because he just knew hot to get it done. I left that captive agency because I couldn't swallow the health product I was selling (Assurant in Florida), but I wish I had gutted it out a little bit longer--or my agency sold more than one product.

Mr. Rosenthal, Your website seems to promote all non med companies. So you gave him the best non med price at the time. You could have also sat them down and told the wife to look at her husband and tell him she loves him because he told you over the phone how important it was that he get this protection for her. Yeah that guy right there you picked a winner, now sign here.
Sure I get the closer and it sounds interesting. I guess I was judging based on the fact that you are in the mortgage protection arena, where you have to sell that way with non meds too get it done fast so they don't change their mind during underwriting. I'm such an *** and I feel sooo embarrassed because you're the man.:embarrassed:

Last edited:
OK. first of all, I think you knew you were getting the sale. So, you went about getting the sale that you knew you were going to get... by attemting to make him mad, but that attempt failed. Instead, you made him realize he loved his family more than he loved $140. That is a good closing technique. Not a "trick". I thought I was going to click on here and see some magic trick! ha ha

Back