AARP Indemnity plans for Individuals 50-64

I just saw and read the UHC AARP comprehensive plan that my family member has. It is not the essential indemnity plans at all. Here is some info. And, it is a new major medical plan.

AARP Personal Health Insurance Plans

The AARP Personal Health Insurance Plan is a comprehensive network based coverage plan designed with a more personal approach, with unique self-care services that empower you to stay healthy and manage your own care. Plus, you will have access to exclusive on-line health resources to make sure you have the information you need.
The AARP Personal Health Insurance Plan is currently available in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Illinois, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Maryland, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

Coverage may not be available in all areas of the states indicated above. The rates and number of plans available to you in your area may be based on your age and location. (If you are shopping for a family member, age 50 to 64, input his or her information).

United HealthCare Insurance Company and Metropolitan Life Insurance Company pay license fees to AARP and its affiliate for use of the AARP trademark and other services. Amounts paid are used for the general purposes of AARP and its members.

AARP Health Care Options is the name of AARP’s health insurance and service program. It is not the insurer. Ages 50-64 Health plans are insured by United HealthCare Insurance Company (For plans offered in NY, United HealthCare Insurance Company of New York) under Policy GRP 79171 GPS-1 (G-36000-2, 5, 6). These plans provide supplemental health insurance coverage and are not Medicare supplement or major medical plans. All plans may not be available in all states/areas.

You misread the AARP info on their site. They tricked you into believing the Personal Health Plan is comprehensive by telling you they have a comprehensive NETWORK. It looks to me like it is a supplemental plan.

I do not work the states the Personal Health plan is offered and don't have much to offer you, but it appears this plan is coordinated with UHC and Met Life. You will have to get your info about this plan from someone else. My info is only valid for Kansas and Missouri.

Using the AARP site, I plugged in 33601 (Tampa) and discovered they are using the Aetna plans . . . same ones you can get direct or from an agent.

More AARP hocus pocus.

Well, the one I read states it's a comprehensive plan, not comprehensive network or supplimental insurance. But, I can see your highlights and the site differs from what I read.

Well, the one I read states it's a comprehensive plan, not comprehensive network or supplimental insurance. But, I can see your highlights and the site differs from what I read.

You can't draw your product information solely from a web site if you are a licensed, professional agent, nor can you get it here. You must get product briefing from the carrier. Web sites are not official documents, and I can testify that even some of the carrier representatives I have spoken with don't know what the correct answers are.

I just spent an hour on the phone today with a carrier rep assigned to the AARP branding (one of the few who really know of what they speak). Take my word for it.... the plans I speak of are what I said. There are some states that have different products, and you have to know what the product design benefits are in that state. I sell in Kansas and Missouri only, so only information specific for those states are relevant in my discussion of the AARP Indemnity plans. I don't speak for other states.

I can't relate a lot of what was disclosed to me, but the obvious confusion is throughout the program, largely because it is new, and also due to inept representatives with other agendas.

Using the AARP site, I plugged in 33601 (Tampa) and discovered they are using the Aetna plans . . . same ones you can get direct or from an agent.

More AARP hocus pocus.

You are mostly correct. There are some minor tweaks, but there are other benefits.... besides, branding is just another marketing ploy used in all kinds of businesses. This is does not mean it is hocus pocus. I will grant you that ofttimes it seems as if sleight-of-hand is used, but not just with carrier marketing.

I agree with you. The website disclaimer grossly differs from the policy I read. I would scan the policy in for you to look at, but I am a bit lazy at the moment. However, I can PM you the summary page at a latter date. I'll PM you when I get my fax machine working again.

I agree with you. The website disclaimer grossly differs from the policy I read. I would scan the policy in for you to look at, but I am a bit lazy at the moment. However, I can PM you the summary page at a latter date. I'll PM you when I get my fax machine working again.

That's okay, I don't need the info, but thanks anyway. Keep in mind that AARP was running this program for several years, and recently changed it. When Ovations got involved, a lot of things got changed, but not in all states. AARP did a lousy job of trying to weave the new into the old, and a lot of people got confused. If you are seriously considering selling this product, get the paperwork done right. Get appointed, take the course training, and pass the certification exams.

I am not in an immediate rush to contract with AARP. I am just speaking here because a family member has this policy and I have read it and see nothing limited about it. I am not an expert in understanding all policy jargon, but I have a good idea of what to look for and this plan I have at my fingertips doesn't look limited in any way. I am aware the essential policies are limited, as I take you word for it. However, this particular plan I read was indeed comprehensive and is underwritten by UHC.

You are mostly correct. There are some minor tweaks

"Minor tweaks" in what way?

I cannot imagine a carrier taking the time, and expense, of filing a special plan just for AARP (or any other association for that matter).

Like all carriers, Aetna plans vary by state and even zip code.

"I cannot imagine a carrier taking the time, and expense, of filing a special plan just for AARP (or any other association for that matter).

You are wrong, most learned one. I can't go into detail on the forum about this or other items you comment on about Aetna.

Back