AARP Indemnity plans for Individuals 50-64

I am not in an immediate rush to contract with AARP. I am just speaking here because a family member has this policy and I have read it and see nothing limited about it. I am not an expert in understanding all policy jargon, but I have a good idea of what to look for and this plan I have at my fingertips doesn't look limited in any way. I am aware the essential policies are limited, as I take you word for it. However, this particular plan I read was indeed comprehensive and is underwritten by UHC.

To continue with this discussion is tantamount to beating a dead cat. I have tried to make the issue clear, but I can't go on with this unless I know what state you are licensed in, and what state your family member contracted under.

To continue with this discussion is tantamount to beating a dead cat. I have tried to make the issue clear, but I can't go on with this unless I know what state you are licensed in, and what state your family member contracted under.

Both in Florida.

OK... for Florida, AARP Major Medical is provided by Aetna's Essential Premier. If your family member has a MM plan purchased thru AARP and is anything other than that plan, then they bought it prior to October of last year.

You mentioned the Personal Health Insurance plan thru AARP. Those are the plans underwritten by UHC. The UHC/PHIP (MM) is no longer available in Florida (or Missouri, etc). They were replaced with the Essential Premier plans underwritten by Aetna, but not available in all states.

Do this: go to the AARP Health Care Options site and input a state/zip and dob (somewhere between 50 and 64) and choose the PHIP. You will see that in FL it will say N/A, but direct you to the Aetna plan. Try other states, such as MO (use 64101... KC) and do the same thing. It will also give the same results. Now try KS (66101)... You will find the PHIP N/A also, but this time you will be re-directed to the Medical Advantage (UHC) site, since Aetna does not cover AARP in KS.

I've been set up for the online certification class on 5/19 and 5/20, 90 minutes each. I'll report back on what I learn about the plans, underwriting, etc.

Rick

For UHC or Aetna?
I'm already certified for the "regular" MA plans, etc through UHC. The certification for the major medical plan written by Aetna is separate.

The plan seems to be priced about 20% higher than the equivalent Aetna directly written plan but if their underwriting is looser than it probably is worth it.

We shall see....

Rick

I'm already certified for the "regular" MA plans, etc through UHC. The certification for the major medical plan written by Aetna is separate.

The plan seems to be priced about 20% higher than the equivalent Aetna directly written plan but if their underwriting is looser than it probably is worth it.

We shall see....

Rick

UHC "regular" MA plan certification doesn't count. Medicare is disqualifying for the Personal Health Plans... same for Aetna.

Your certification will entail AARP requirements... Senior Sensitivity training, etc. and specifics on the Individual policy plan benefits. Have fun!

Rick, you bring up a good point. I should make it clear that the AARP 50-64 Indemnity plans are Supplemental policies, and can therefore be sold to any AARP member regardless of other health insurance, except Medicare. (Did I hear a duck quack?)

IndMedIns, I need to make it clear to you that "AARP Health" is replacing "AARP Health Care Options", and "Medical Advantage Health Plans". This is the 'cornfuseyun' I was trying to describe. The slow transition is the problem.

Last edited:
OK... for Florida, AARP Major Medical is provided by Aetna's Essential Premier. If your family member has a MM plan purchased thru AARP and is anything other than that plan, then they bought it prior to October of last year.

You mentioned the Personal Health Insurance plan thru AARP. Those are the plans underwritten by UHC. The UHC/PHIP (MM) is no longer available in Florida (or Missouri, etc). They were replaced with the Essential Premier plans underwritten by Aetna, but not available in all states.

Do this: go to the AARP Health Care Options site and input a state/zip and dob (somewhere between 50 and 64) and choose the PHIP. You will see that in FL it will say N/A, but direct you to the Aetna plan. Try other states, such as MO (use 64101... KC) and do the same thing. It will also give the same results. Now try KS (66101)... You will find the PHIP N/A also, but this time you will be re-directed to the Medical Advantage (UHC) site, since Aetna does not cover AARP in KS.

Ok, good. Then you have solved it. She bought the plan sometime in September or October of 2007. She got an AARP UHC plan and it is comprehensive. Thanks for putting this saga to bed. :err:

Back