AARP launching high deductible plan G

I wrote a couple dozen UA HDG. I only get 14% but they are lifetime renewals (direct contract). About $85/yr. Yes, premiums about $52/mo in most areas.

If UHC is paying $10 year after year 6, that's $5/year factoring 7 yrs of Biden leftover inflation. I can't justify offering it.

HDG clients are typically healthy, and live a long time. UA for the win.
Only product I've ever sold that the premium doesn't go up.

I wrote a couple dozen UA HDG. I only get 14% but they are lifetime renewals (direct contract). About $85/yr. Yes, premiums about $52/mo in most areas.

If UHC is paying $10 year after year 6, that's $5/year factoring 7 yrs of Biden leftover inflation. I can't justify offering it.

You may be writing more HDG especially in high premium states like Fl. if UHC raises the awareness of this option with their billion dollar direct mail budget..If i do a med supp when i turn 65 it is the plan i would take.

I think UA HDG is getting a 14% rate increase next month.

I've never seen an HDG commercial or mailing. Doubt margins are worth it.

I always jinx myself, but 14% is only $7 mo, equivalent to a Biden gallon of CA gas

I've never seen an HDG commercial or mailing. Doubt margins are worth it.

I always jinx myself, but 14% is only $7 mo, equivalent to a Biden gallon of CA gas

Seems unlikely when AARP sends out the info that includes rates they are not going to include the HD rates which will get consumers attention-assuming their rates low.Since all the other AARP plans in Fl A-J went through periods where there was no underwriting or limited underwriting in Fl the HDG may have more rate stability than the other plans.

I have a friend who recently attended a national carriers advisory panel, and said the medigap carriers are taking a big hit on loss ratios, and rate increases in the future dont look pretty for G & N...

If I were trying to read the tea leaves with this HDG announcement, it may be a sign of positioning UHC for that situation. If people dont want MA, and the premiums for G & N get absurd, then this may become an alternate option, for those individuals.

UHC tends to be fairly innovative with their products and positioning.

I havent ever perceived HDG or HDF to be in very high demand in the past.

Why do you guys think they are offering it?

Do you see current demand for HDG to be very strong?

For T65 folks, the premiums are usually not too far off from a Plan N, which seems to be more attractive.

I have a friend who recently attended a national carriers advisory panel, and said the medigap carriers are taking a big hit on loss ratios, and rate increases in the future dont look pretty for G & N...

If I were trying to read the tea leaves with this HDG announcement, it may be a sign of positioning UHC for that situation. If people dont want MA, and the premiums for G & N get absurd, then this may become an alternate option, for those individuals.

For T65 folks, the premiums are usually not too far off from a Plan N, which seems to be more attractive.

UHC Plan G is now over $200 for a T65 in FL. They are definitely offering HDG as a move to capture that market. And they most likely will.

IMO MAPD plans are too strong here to sell HDG but they’ll have their place.
Plan N starts around $130 (uhc around $160) and HDG is $50 (UA) so I don’t agree that the premiums are close.

I think demand will grow slightly, at least in Florida, as medsupp rates just keep climbing. However, due to the low commission, I think most agents will start pushing plan N more before they start with HDG. but this may just be UHC planting the seed for HDG before the real push begins. I expect HDG commissions to go up in the future.

that being said, MAPD would have take a big hit, before HDG ever becomes truly popular. MAPD has something like 60% of the market share in Florida, and even higher in some counties.

And even though there are some on here, that are all doom and gloom on the future of MAPD, i strongly disagree with that mindset. Yes, its possible that the MAPD enters a small recession (what industry doesn't from time to time), but it will only offer the market a time to regain its footing as the bull market continues.

As Medicare cuts begin to gain steam over the coming years, and Part D premiums to rise, we, as agents and brokers, will only have more opportunities to serve our clients. We must be flexible with market changes if we want to survive and thrive.

Do people still buy HD medigap plans?
Did they ever start?

Maybe it is different in other states but my experience is that few are interested besides engineer types that someone else mentioned who spend a whole lot more time than normal crunching the numbers.

I've written some High-Deductible plans....almost all affluent clients with high HSA balances to take into retirement or plenty of resources to cover the deductible. A few are on the low-end and cannot afford the higher premiums and want nothing to do with an Advantage plan...still a lot better than going bare.

Even so, I dread the phone call later when their health has changed and now want a plan with less out-of-pocket. After one unfortunate call a few years back, I now have them provide a statement they are aware they may be unable to later upgrade to another plan.

Back