Advice for New Agency, Do We Sign with a Local Broker or Online Insurance Cluster?

Hello everyone!

We have an independent agency in Florida and seven of our agents have recently gotten their 2-20 General Lines License. During our research to see who we can get appointed with, discovered that the best way for new agents to do this is one of two ways.....either with a local broker or through an online insurance cluster. What would you guys recommend that we do? Local broker? Online insurance cluster? Both? We'd appreciate any and all feedback, thank you in advance!!

Hello everyone!

We have an independent agency in Florida and seven of our agents have recently gotten their 2-20 General Lines License. During our research to see who we can get appointed with, discovered that the best way for new agents to do this is one of two ways.....either with a local broker or through an online insurance cluster. What would you guys recommend that we do? Local broker? Online insurance cluster? Both? We'd appreciate any and all feedback, thank you in advance!!

Reach out to Shawn Walker at PGI - He'll give you solid direction (whether it's his group or not.)

Good advice from Insurance1822. Shawn Walker is a Pro and the Premier program is solid. I can also be reached through my website, if you want some advice or to get some of your questions addressed.

Reach out to Shawn Walker at PGI - He'll give you solid direction (whether it's his group or not.)

I appreciate the thoughts and Kind words folks.

I would love to chat (Time permitting) about the avenues available to you and what you might find most rewarding. (Whether PGI or not) There are so many avenues, it is important to slow down and search each one.

The biggest thing I would stress, read the contract, read the contract, and read the contract. If in doubt, have your attorney read before you sign.

I don't care who it is, you better know what it says before you have an issue.

Also, talk to a lot of people. Shawn among them. Don't just take someone else's opinion on a group or contract, read it yourself.

Be careful & read contract. Heck use a lawyer. Lots of snakes out there. Next to impossible to get a direct FL appointment unless you can show 3 years of loss runs and write $1MM or more for personal lines. Commercial is higher. If the broker contract doesn't let you own your book, run the heck away. You'll never get away from them. Lots of shady brokers. Be careful because the shady brokers all go after you when you start. Kick them to the curb. There are folks on here trying to sell you a set of goods whether it's leads or to be your broker. Don't fall for it. Join a local association to find appointments. Even there you need to be careful. Shady brokers will try to bleed you dry.

Last edited:
Back