Advice Needed For Sales Agent Position

Nefriti

I am considering being a sales agent(life insurance) the recruiter is very persistent, he glorifies the job. I am somewhat skeptical.
NOthing appealing about begging someone to buy life insurance. He keeps saying, give it a try. I am suppose to take the training course (the insurance company is paying).

If I take the course and pass the exam, I will then be eligible to work as an agent.

Question: If I realize this is not for me can I just opt out and say to the recruiter, this is not for me? I am assuming I would be obligated because they are paying for the training.

Please need expert advice.

If you don't want to do it don't do it! The last thing we need in this business is one more person who doesn't care or thinks they need to beg someone to buy life insurance. My guess is you have little if any insurance on yourself based on your post.

To answer your other question you need to ask if you would be responsible to pay them back for the test, licensing if it doesn't work out? I don't have anything built in to any of my producers contracts like that but I am sure there are companies that do.

Last edited:
Find something else to do then. If you think of it as begging, you are in the wrong business. Obviously you don't have any life insurance yourself and see no value in it. You are doomed to fail. The industry doesn't need another person trying to sell life insurance who sees no value in the product and doesn't understand it.

If they pay for your licensing and training, you have a moral obligation in addition to a binding contract to grind it out for a minimum number of years depending on your state. Check with your state Attorney General for specifics. Good luck in your new career. Just remember, it could be worse. You could be scooping out septic tanks bare-handed for a living.

First of all, I think you really need to re-evaluate your perception of life insurance sales. If you think it's about harrassing and begging people to buy, then you are immediately of the wrong mindset. Life insurance sales is truly about helping people. You may not believe me, but anyone here on this board who has been in the business for any length of time and has settled a death claim knows exactly what I am talking about. I've often said that all new agents must work in death claims before they even start to sell insurance. If the captive life companies would implement this concept, I guarantee agent turnover would instantly decrease.

Secondly, I would run - not walk away from this recruiter. If he is pounding on you in the recruitement, then I can imagine what type of management style he has once you are in the field. When starting out in this biz you need someone who will mentor, encourage and support you - not someone who is pounding on you and is perceived to be a pain in the neck.

Umm, why would you ask us if you'd be obligated? If the sales manager/recruiter is so persistent, you should have had multiple opportunities to ask him this question. If he lies, you then hire an attorney. Insurance companies have lots of money, and attorneys love being on the plaintiff's side when there is an insurance company sitting in the defendant's seat.

Last edited:
Nefriti, would you care to share with us what company it is? If you do we might can help you a bit more. If it's some company like Primerica...then run away!!

If it's Primerica then I will double your commission level and give you more competitive products!

Back