Advice on career direction

I would leave that agent in a heartbeat. State Farm's policies can't compare to independent agent companies. I think this is why they brainwash their agents to think no one compares to State Farm. She won't have any input in getting you your own State Farm Agencies. After 49 years as an agent I would not buy a life policy from a company that writes P & C. I was an agent with Prudential in 1992 when hurricane andrew hit. Pru had to take $50 million out of the life company to pay the P & C claims and since then I will not write a life policy with a P & C company. Also, I deal with insurance companies all the time trying to get them to pay for my insured's damage because they are at fault. Guess which company is the worst. State Farm. They will find a way to deny a claim.

True, I was trying to figure out if I was dipping out too fast or if I should give it a little bit more time but not sure what else to learn. I would definitely love to start getting into health. My agent hasn't sold any health policies this year so she probably feels it would be a waste of time to train and sell heath products for SF. So she wants me to strictly focus on the Auto and HO. I know some people say find a niche, but my overall goal is to have a variety of products I can sell to help families.

A couple of agencies for United Healthcare and Cigna called me to start training and sell medicare products for $18 an hour for enrollment. Wondering if I should start that way just to train, or find an independent agent that could train?
My State Farm agent said she would hope that I will continue to give her a chance to teach me as much as she can and realize the reputation of the company. In the future she said she could help get me a SF agency if that's what I desired. But I don't think so. I do still like P&C by the way..it's just the limitations at SF. I just want a situation where I can learn and sell multiple lines and products.

As I'm reading what you're telling about your "boss lady". In all seriousness...if what you are saying is true, she is struggling because of her own self. Evidently she's not putting the work in nor does she know how to train you. Not a good scenario at all!

Secondly, check out the links in my signature for training on Medicare and other things.

When she gets ready to train me I will be helping her do Life as well, she is already asking if I can get my family members, friends or any leads to sign up for a Life policy
Seriously, State Farm life insurance products are so bad. Don't sell family and friends overpriced coverage. And do not even get me started on how they push whole life products. Again. Worst whole life insurance I have ever seen.

I was an agent with Prudential in 1992 when hurricane andrew hit. Pru had to take $50 million out of the life company to pay the P & C claims and since then I will not write a life policy with a P & C company. Also, I deal with insurance companies all the time trying to get them to pay for my insured's damage because they are at fault. Guess which company is the worst. State Farm.

Wow, very informative. So I take it your an adjuster now?? I went ahead and put in a resignation early this morning. My agent was a bit disappointed since she really did need me to help her start selling Life policies since she is lagging behind in that quota. I tried hard to see all the possibilities of opportunities if I stay. But I see the whole job as a dead end situation. She said I needed to pay back commission for all the clients that canceled with State Farm within the 3 months, so I will gladly pay that and be on my way.

Seriously, State Farm life insurance products are so bad. Don't sell family and friends overpriced coverage. And do not even get me started on how they push whole life products. Again. Worst whole life insurance I have ever seen.
I don't work for State Farm & basically compete against them, but you don't get out much if you think theirs is the worst........not even Close to the worst

As I'm reading what you're telling about your "boss lady". In all seriousness...if what you are saying is true, she is struggling because of her own self. Evidently she's not putting the work in nor does she know how to train you. Not a good scenario at all!

This is definitely what I feel..not a good scenario. She depends on all existing clients with SF for new business/sales and referrals while I handle all new leads outside of the business for P/C. While I have been able to help her make the quota in P&C, she's not meeting the State Farm quota for L&H. She would like me to try and get Life from the clients I've recently sold Auto or H/O policies to in order to help her out. However she hasn't registered me with State Farm to sell Life. I'm wondering does she just want me to refer my leads to her so she can get the Life commission, since Life pays more. She wants me to focus all on P/C business anyway. Anywho, I guess it doesn't matter at this point since I resigned. I couldn't even do social media for her since SF is very strict with there marketing. So you summed it up, I'm not understanding her sales/business structure or method if there is even one.

Thank you for providing your link.. I will definetly take a look at that this weekend and get in touch.

you don't get out much if you think theirs is the worst........not even Close to the worst
I should have cleared up what I meant. there is a lot of really highly rated companies on comdex, moody's, etc... But out of all of the financially secure companies for life insurance on that list, State Farm seems to offer the worst product structures for someone looking for living benefits. They also just have extremely expensive death benefits (hence their financial solidarity lol) Hope that makes more sense. There are definitely lots of worse companies, but after being able to see how little State Farm life insurance policies accomplish, I feel the duty of letting people know there are far better options out there.

PS I have a Greek God Tan and I get out quite a bit :D

I should have cleared up what I meant. there is a lot of really highly rated companies on comdex, moody's, etc... But out of all of the financially secure companies for life insurance on that list, State Farm seems to offer the worst product structures for someone looking for living benefits. They also just have extremely I have a Greek God Tan and I get out qu :D

In your opinion, who do you think has the best living benefit?

Last edited:
Would you rank it atleast as decent? Is it something you would sell?

I have literally told dozens of family members & clients to keep their State Farm WL policies.

Sure, their term can be beat by online & independent carriers, but they sell a ton of life insurance in the US to people that would not be buying any life insurance had the SF agent or their staff brought up the topic. SF is the only PC company nationally that is in the top 10 or so writers of life insurance. The other 9 are life only companies. Do we all criticize these life only carriers that they have Mediocre or no PC coverages.

I just think it is a dumb argument. Protection is better than none & too many of our population has none or only group at work because most agents life only either elephant hint the big high income cases or work the senior market for burial policies. Very few in our industry are working the 250 million other citizens between those 2 extremes.

Back