Advice on self-employed health insurance

bedafish said:
... and why would a company that I've been with for 3+ years (without a claim) be more than double a "new" insurer who is basing my rate on age & smoking preference alone?

because they have taken the risk for 3 years and think its time to move it to another company....who knows...but what I do not like about this co is that you can have a different rate that you are paying on your health plan that you have had for several years and the new street rate is cheaper on the same plan that you have....but have you looked into converting your current plan to another assurant plan.....and usually if I have just a husband and wife hsa plan we usually split them.....

1) You can submit a supplement app with Assurant and get their new business rates.

2) In MD average rates increases are 20% - Aetna just hit 19%, Assurant's 22%, Golden Rule was 24%.

Why the increases? Because the effect of underwriting wears off over time. That simply means health insurance companies get to pick and choose who they want based on your health at the time of the applications.

But after the application and approval over the course of years people have new accidents and illnesses so insurance companies "force" people to either go through underwriting again or cancel every 3 to 5 years depending on the carrier. Does that stink? Yes...it does.

And if you think this only applies to individual policies go talk to small business owners are their rate increases.

john_petrowski said:
1) You can submit a supplement app with Assurant and get their new business rates.

but with a new pre~ex waiting period......

john_petrowski said:
But after the application and approval over the course of years people have new accidents and illnesses so insurance companies "force" people to either go through underwriting again or cancel every 3 to 5 years depending on the carrier. Does that stink? Yes...it does.

If we DO get some kind of universal or single payor coverage which puts the carriers out of business, many people will say that the health carriers brought it on themselves by their business practices.

How did we get the Do Not Call list? Because the direct marketing/telemarketing industry simply screwed over enough people who finally spoke up and said "Time to put a stop to this crap."

It might be the same with health insurance. No one loves an insurance company... and even less so these days than when I was young (a long, long time ago!)

Al

al3 said:
john_petrowski said:

If we DO get some kind of universal or single payor coverage which puts the carriers out of business, many people will say that the health carriers brought it on themselves by their business practices.

How did we get the Do Not Call list? Because the direct marketing/telemarketing industry simply screwed over enough people who finally spoke up and said "Time to put a stop to this crap."

It might be the same with health insurance. No one loves an insurance company... and even less so these days than when I was young (a long, long time ago!)

Al

Instead of focusing on the negatives, what about admiring the positives about the people have been helped.

I wish I had your problem. My premiums went from $500 per month (+/-) to nearly $1000 per month over a 4 year period. It got so bad I had to withdraw from my employer's health plan because I couldn't make my car payment (need a car to get to work).

I would KILL for a $525 per month premium with a $4000 deductible!

JHoward said:

Well if you did that, you could get state funded health care via the prison system. :P

sman said:
JHoward said:

Well if you did that, you could get state funded health care via the prison system. :P

Shhhh... Don't say that. Some politician will suggest that we put all the uninsured people in prison to fix the health insurance crisis.

Back