Aetna Medicare Market: Internal or Contracted Inside sales force?

HealthGuy

Guru
1000 Post Club
Does Aetna corporate have an inside sales force for supplements and MAPD? I recently lost 2 long time Aetna supplement policyholders to what they said were "Aetna corporate" MAPD sales force. Or at a minimum does Aetna contract with a call center to do outbound calling of existing policyholders during AEP ?

I ran into a problem with this. Had 2 MAPD clients in another state. Scoped and telephonic presented, was provided an enrollment hotline. Client tells them to put your agent name and NPN in. This IS correct procedure. However, they have some rogue agent(s)/call center(s) that ignore that request and keep their info in for the sale. Your client can call member services and request you be AOR and provide NPN and you'll be back on there with commissions. Pretty crappy, but sounds like it's going to be a big problem with people losing their clients. The girl I spoke with was on top of it to let the higher powers know they were doing this, so hopefully it's cleared up for the future. Not sure on Supp side, this was for MAPD.

My clients, now taken away from me, were both Aetna supplement clients fished away from what they told me to be "Aenta coporate" agents....They were written into a MAPD and IM NOT THE AGENT...I dont think they can call in and put my Aetna MAPD agent number on the applications, some other agent stole them from me. I just dont know if its an Aetna corporate inside agent, or a call center thats in bed with Aetna?

Somehow an Aetna corporate call center or an independent call center called my supplement clients...I just really want to know if their numbers were given to the call center by Aetna to an Aetna affiliate call center to get new MAPD business? Is that POSSIBLE or am I paranoid?

Last edited:
I wouldn't necessarily blame Aetna, probably punk agent...which to me falls on management. I started out in a call center and I know my supervisor turned a blind eye to make the numbers. Couldn't tell you about their number given out or whatever. But I do know if a carrier has a policy with someone, they have a right to contact them and pitch whatever they want to them...they own that client as much as you do. Trust me, I'm on your side and have lost clients the same way, but it's just an unfortunate way for carriers to get business. Only thing I can say is learn from this like I have and try to keep your book calling you for ANYTHING. Consider doing the certifications for the MAPD, then you can have them call in and change the AOR and you get paid. AHIP is a pain, will take you a day or two, but the certifications for Aetna won't take but an hour maybe. I sell both and could care less what a client takes. That being said, in my area over 90% go MAPD. Could be some nice income for you. Hope this helps, good luck getting them back one way or another!

Besides TRC (The Results Companies) Aetna also has contracts with HPOne, Bloom, and Connexion Point. Connexion Point, which has 7 or 8 offices in different cities across the country, has contracts with other people, but Aetna is probably the largest client. It definitely is the largest in the Memphis office, which can seat over 400 agents. Mostly inbound calls from people who are responding to different ads or notices from Aetna. Most of the sales are PDPs.

JJH thats the funny thing...I did all my training and certifications for Aetna MAPD...Are you saying I can have the client do an AOR on Aetna MAPD they signed up for with another agent with me? I didnt know or think Aetna allows AORs on MAPDs. By the way, thanks for all the replies on this thread, its very helpful.

Yes they do allow AOR changes on MAPD. I did AOR change on couple back in May. We called Aetna and both husband and wife had to verbally state they wanted me to be their agent.

Back