Aetna Pulling Out of All but 4 States

Yes I would. I don't care if they lost billions of dollars. They got the law that they lobbied for. That was a bipartisan bill with industry support. I don't remember any insurance companies complaining about the individual mandate.

They got the law they were given. So were we. Carriers were told it was happening. They spent lots to make sure they had a chance of profiting. The feds pulled the funding they promised for the losses that were expected... hence creating hard losses for the carriers that they did not "lobby for".

Basically the carriers said they had to be covered for the huge losses or they were not going to take part in the exchanges in the first place. The government agreed and then pulled the money. Now the carriers are saying see you later.

Obamacare was anything but bipartisan. It was by far the most divisive and partisan piece of legislation passed in the last 40 years.

Your memory is incorrect on multiple points.

If you believe the government has the right to force private companies to take crippling losses, then perhaps you should move to Venezuela. They have done the same thing for the past 15 years to energy healthcare and many other sectors... things are peachy over there, great place to visit right now.

Last edited:
I have this pre existing condition that happens every 4 years. I seem to start banging my head against the wall for no apparent reason.

Yes I would. I don't care if they lost billions of dollars. They got the law that they lobbied for. That was a bipartisan bill with industry support. I don't remember any insurance companies complaining about the individual mandate.

Bi partisan?

The carriers lobbied for ACA?

I want whatever you are smoking. Really. It will get me through OEP. Can you PM me?

Question...how much money does Aetna make on MAPD? If they are losing Millions on ACA, but making Billions on MAPD, they need to shut up.

And if Hillary wins, paybacks are a b***h. Look for a requirement to be on exchange, with multiple plans, for every county you sell MAPD.

Wellllllll.... he is correct about the insurance companies lobbying for the bill, well at least one was, Aetna. The old Aetna CEO was somewhat a butt buddy of Obama and pushed hard for this... also, Anthem(I think, it was one of the Blues) in California caused all this to happen. The proposed discussion had died in Washington but then they raised their rates about 40% and pissed off Obama and he brought it back and shoved hard.

Lets get our facts straight

Wellllllll.... he is correct about the insurance companies lobbying for the bill, well at least one was, Aetna. The old Aetna CEO was somewhat a butt buddy of Obama and pushed hard for this... also, Anthem(I think, it was one of the Blues) in California caused all this to happen. The proposed discussion had died in Washington but then they raised their rates about 40% and pissed off Obama and he brought it back and shoved hard.

Lets get our facts straight

No.

The Blues were totally against it. Then Burwells predecessor (what was her name?) called Anthem, HCSC, Florida, and a couple of others, along with the Association CEO to DC. They were sitting at a table, she walked in and said "Get on board with it or lose FEP" then she walked out.

There was 2 week blackout period where the Blues couldn't do anything. Nothing was allowed in, nothing out. Including phone calls and emails. It was horrific.

THEN they got on board.

And the Aetna CEO got canned by the board for supporting it. It was him, not the company.

And none of this matters. Its collapsing before our eyes. Did we figure out how to get paid, yet???

I love the view that Aetna is bullying the Justice Department.

Months before this, the Justice Department was asking for the opinions of the State Departments of Insurance. The Florida DOI told Aetna that they would agree with the merger if Aetna promised to stay in their Exchanges, and even expand to certain counties. Aetna agreed. Then the Justice Dept. sued to stop the merger anyway. Aetna had no reason to keep losing millions. Aetna had told the Justice Department that its agreement to stay in the exchanges was based on getting the merger. That is the govt bullying Aetna, not the other way around.

Go listen to the senate finance committee hearings in late 09'.
Every flaw in ACA was pointed out ahead of time by repubs.
Every pragmatic amendment was shot down by democrats.
When the carriers realized they couldn't stop the train, they only would hop on board if there was a mandate, which was eventually set too low.
Carriers hid like cowards, as the gestapo beat them up in the press.
It's only now the tables have turned, and carriers are in control.
The politicians are still touting their party lines, and the American people suffer.

The DOI just doing its job to try and stop carrier losses. A percentage of each premium collected goes to the local DOI if I remember right.

Latest posts

Back