Age 65, Dirt Poor & Not Eligible for Medicaid

Status
Not open for further replies.
This person has no interest in taking SSI since they are set up enough w/basics so doesn't want or need the $. It's my neighbor who says no one can answer this simple question. Instead everyone just want to know his personal circumstances and avoid answering the question. He only wants to continue his life on, as he has, taking medicaid only beyond age 65. Medicare of course is not as good of insurance nor does he want to take it anyhow. Please let's avoid discussions about medicare of we can, I just want to have this question answered though he told me that it won't happen.

He's never married. Lives off the land and does alot of volunteering.

Can this person stay on Medicaid now that he's 65 or is he forced to take more of the taxpayers money by accepting SSI in order to get it?

I cannot even find the laws on findlaw regarding medi-ca;/medicaid eligibility

That is what he is being told at the Medi-cal office (California's version of Medicaid). I think it is awful to force us to foot the bill, extra $ he doesn't need or want forced upon him in order to get medical care.

Thanks for everyone's time, I appreciate it. Merry Christmas by the way! :)
Oh he says he doesn't qualify for Medicare. No documented work history, no prior marriages and no money to buy it

Last edited:
Since the state pays most of Medi-Cal he will be required to go on Medicare to transfer more of the cost to the feds. If he truly is destitute, CA taxpayers will pay the cost of Medicare if he qualifies. Otherwise he can stay on Medi-Cal.

Medicare is actually better access to care than straight Medi-Cal. So regardless of the feelings, he will be better off.

Rick

Since the state pays most of Medi-Cal he will be required to go on Medicare to transfer more of the cost to the feds. If he truly is destitute, CA taxpayers will pay the cost of Medicare if he qualifies. Otherwise he can stay on Medi-Cal.

Medicare is actually better access than straight Medi-Cal. So regardless of the feelings, he will be better off.

Rick

He doesn't qualify for medicare. Nor can he afford to buy it.

Medi-cal is what his indian clinic has taken this whole time and they prefer it as there is a federal trust responsibility for them to get paid. Medicare not so much (No legal trust via the indian treaties)

Does anyone here just know the answer to the question? He told me we'd get major sidetracked and no one will actually answer it because it is unanswerable.
I suspect he is right

He doesn't qualify for medicare. Nor can he afford to buy it

Does anyone here just know the answer to the question? He told me we'd get major sidetracked and no one will actually answer it because it is unanswerable.
I suspect he is right

I just gave you the correct answer.

If he qualifies for Medicare and has zero funds, CA will pay the premium and he'll have both and be know as Medi-Medi.

Otherwise he can stay on Medi-Cal without Medcarel. There is no age limit.

It's completely answerable. You just have to read.

Are you an insurance agent?

Rick

Last edited:
I just gave you the correct answer.

If he qualifies for Medicare and has zero funds, CA will pay the premium and he'll have both and be know as Medi-Medi.

Otherwise he can stay on Medi-Cal without Medi-Cal. There is no age limit.

It's completely answerable. You just have to read.

Are you an insurance agent?

Rick

No. Medicaid will pay the premium only after he signs up for Medicare.

My question again.... can he just stay on medicaid as he is? please lets avoid discussing medicare

I just googled medi medi and nothing came up. I work in Social Services but just want to stick to the question

----------

Medi Medi is probably what is known as Dual Eligibles

But that is beside the point.

Can he just continue as he is, or is there some law which requires kicking him out of medicaid illegally forcing him into Medicare?

Last edited:
No. Medicaid will pay the premium only after he signs up for Medicare.

My question again.... can he just stay on medicaid as he is?

I just googled medi medi and nothing came up. I work in Social Services but just want to stick to the question

----------

Medi Medi is probably what is known as Dual Eligibles

But that is beside the point.

Can he just continue as he is, or is there some law which requires kicking him out of medicaid illegally forcing him into Medicare?

If he gets social security he will be signed up automatically for Part A. Part B is voluntary but the state is going to require it. And it's not illegal unless you want to get into a discussion of the constitutionality of all federal crap.

You are welcome to send your phone number to me at the email below and we can discuss this.

Rick

As he said would happen and as i requested we avoid...We are getting sidetracked.

Again, he is DIRT POOR and does not get SS nor qualify for it. Nor does he want SSI.

I just want this SIMPLE question answered
Can he continue as he is, getting his medicaid beyond age 65?

It's ok but you don't know the answer. That's fine.
Thank you and merry xmas, btw

Can anyone else answer this SIMPLE question? I cannot see how legally, he is suddenly ineligible for full medicaid benefits as he's had them.

As he said would happen and as i requested we avoid...We are getting sidetracked.

Again, he is DIRT POOR and does not get SS nor qualify for it. PLEASE I don't want to keep reiterating, just want this SIMPLE question answered if it's ok

Thank you and merry xmas, btw

Can anyone else answer this SIMPLE question?

Ok, the answer is Yes.

Rick

We need to find the law which means he is still eligible for medicaid as he's had it this whole time. That nothing has changed.

By "we" I presume you mean you and your dirt poor person.

Perhaps you have heard of Google?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back