Age 65, Dirt Poor & Not Eligible for Medicaid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why should we do your work for you? We have lazyazz people on here all the time that want us to do their research. You are (apparently) paid for your time and lazyazz advice. Go find the answer yourself. Earn your paycheck. This is YOUR customer. Not ours. You are paid to give advice. You expect answers but chastise those who are trying to help with no expectation of remuneration. My advice is to ask your social workers for the answer and move on.

He doesn't qualify for medicare. Nor can he afford to buy it. Medi-cal is what his indian clinic has taken this whole time and they prefer it as there is a federal trust responsibility for them to get paid. Medicare not so much (No legal trust via the indian treaties) Does anyone here just know the answer to the question? He told me we'd get major sidetracked and no one will actually answer it because it is unanswerable. I suspect he is right

You mention he has tribal services--he's Native American then? He should call the Feds and find out specifics then. Don't waste our time here, since you seem to already know the answers and simply want to give people a hard time when they want to help.

Why should we do your work for you? We have lazyazz people on here all the time that want us to do their research. You are (apparently) paid for your time and lazyazz advice. Go find the answer yourself. Earn your paycheck. This is YOUR customer. Not ours. You are paid to give advice. You expect answers but chastise those who are trying to help with no expectation of remuneration. My advice is to ask your social workers for the answer and move on.

Relax...take a deep breathe. Somarco, take a deep breathe in and out...

I've been working to find out the answer for months on my own time. We have very little down time at work. And it will save taxpayers alot of money if we can work this out. That is my main motivation. I realize you talk as if you are in a business setting, not in Social Services where we generally volunteer so much of our time without expectation of anything back (except the blessings we get back at times)

If someone can just answer a quick simple, question off the top of their head was all I asked. Hence not to spend your personal time on it. And yes, there were reminders to stick to the question with many thank you's and repeated merry christmases. Now go relax, take a bath. Play with your kids instead of trolling online making baseless accusations.

----------

Are we sure he's qualified for Medicare? Has he worked 10 years, or 40 quarters?

Many of our clients don't need it, until they do. Make sure you're not cutting off the nose to spite the face.

No, he doesn't qualify for medicare

----------

GreenSky, the so called "tempered man," does not seem to understand that the citizen under discussion has insufficient work history, so he doesn't qualify for either Social Security or, by extension, Medicare. Outdoorsygal wants to know if he can stay on Medicaid, for which he does qualify by reason of being destitute.

Outdoorsygal wants to know if the PROFESSIONALS here can direct her to the actual law that says the citizen, due to his circumstances, can stay on Medicaid. The response is, "Perhaps you have heard of Google?"

Wow...

----------

Outdoorsygal, here's a link that discusses the many categories of eligibility mandated by Medicaid. Since I don't yet have 20 posts, I can't post the actual URL, but the keywords are "longtermcare gov medicare medicaid more medicaid medicaid eligibility." Just copy/paste those keywords, exactly as I've typed them, into a new browser window.

To be eligible for Medicaid, you must meet the requirements for an eligibility group that your state covers under its Medicaid program. We can define an “eligibility group” as people who have certain common characteristics, such as being aged or disabled, and who meet certain common requirements, such as having income and assets below certain levels. There are many different eligibility groups in the Medicaid program, and each one has its own set of requirements. States are required to cover some groups, but have the option to cover or not cover others. Regardless of the specific eligibility group, though, you must meet two types of requirements to qualify for Medicaid.

1.General requirements
2.Financial requirements
Here are the general requirements.

Again, cut/paste these words into a new browser window: longtermcare gov medicare medicaid more medicaid medicaid eligibility general medicaid requirements

If you really think you need to cite the actual law, you would probably be best served by locating an attorney who specializes in government care issues, such as a Social Security legal advocate. These are attorneys who help people appeal adverse decisions made by the Social Security Administration. Google for keywords "Social Security appeal attorneys."
Thanks SO MUCH for understanding my posts and being civil. And the information. I have the Medicare program memorized, unfortunately our Native American Clinic bills it frequently and it's a real difficult thing for us. Medicaid is not. We wish all could stay on it. I've brought up paying an Attorney for help but they say we don't have the money. It is just sad that it appears that many of our Clients do not need to move to medicare, (where many loose their butts on the deductibles anyhow, such as the other two medicare savings programs, only QMB is safe in every way). My co-workers are pretty supportive of it and have also been trying. Thanks for the information, I have alot of time in the late evenings to read up on what you've included. If we can reduce the heartache of billing Medicare (which is a smooth process for others, but not us) and can save the taxpayers money, that is just a few of the benefits.

We were also sent a notice recently to comment on Centers for Medicare/Medicaid now fully funding more services such as X rays, blood tests, etc..which is very exciting. Thanks again for your kindness, hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

Outdoorsygal, I bet you're sorry you even bothered to ask the "professionals" here, eh? The practical reality is, they don't know! And they don't want to admit they don't know, so they call you names.

When you finally locate the definitive answer, please return to this thread and let us have the benefit of your research. Thanks.

You mention he has tribal services--he's Native American then? He should call the Feds and find out specifics then. Don't waste our time here, since you seem to already know the answers and simply want to give people a hard time when they want to help.

If I knew the answer to that one simple question, I wouldn't be here.
Really, it's not Rocket Science.

Now please move on. Your whining and complaining doesn't assist me nor anyone else.

----------

Outdoorsygal, I bet you're sorry you even bothered to ask the "professionals" here, eh? The practical reality is, they don't know! And they don't want to admit they don't know, so they call you names.

When you finally locate the definitive answer, please return to this thread and let us have the benefit of your research. Thanks.
I certainly will return to the thread, and let you know what I've found out.
I wouldn't call them professionals though, at least not obviously from the way they relate here, sadly. I wonder if this is why insurance salesman have the repuation they do along with car salesman. Anyhow I spent months on this actually. I wonder if the answer is just not there. Even studying the medi-cal laws I have in PDF form. It just doesn't seem to address this or anytime frame of being disqualified suddenly at age 65.

My suspicion is it is totally legal for them to remain on medicaid (medi-cal) but they are being kicked off illegally. And there is nothing we can do about it. Then led to sign up for SSI +medicare which cost taxpayers money in order to just get the medical care covered they need. Also Medicare is a real pain for our Clinic when it comes to billing.

My posts are being lumped together even though I am quoting them separately, oh well...Nice to meet another person from California here.

Last edited:
Ah...California. I know just the place you should go for pro bono guidance.

California Public Counsel Community Development Project
Phone: (213) 385-2977
Public Counsel delivers pro bono legal services to indigent and underrepresented children and adults, ensuring that community-based organizations serving this population have legal support, mobilizing the volunteer resources of the private bar, and providing technical assistance to pro bono attorneys and projects throughout California. It is the public interest law office of the Los Angeles County and Beverly Hills Bar Associations and the Southern California affiliate of the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law. Public Counsel provides the opportunity for volunteers to work on a wide variety of projects. Some cases are relatively simple, suitable for new attorneys seeking to develop new skills, or for more experienced attorneys seeking to expand their legal experience. Other cases are highly complex. In addition to litigation, Public Counsel volunteers can assist with transactional and administrative matters and work in specialized areas such as health care. Health care projects include working with legal issues for children with developmental disabilities and helping pregnant and parenting teens access government program benefits, medical and mental health care, and providing corporate and transactional legal services to health care safety net providers, including federally qualified health centers, community clinics, and mental health service providers serving low-income, minority and immigrant neighborhoods.

Volunteer Legal Services Program/Bar Association of San Francisco -- Pro Bono Partnership
Phone: (415) 982-1600
The Volunteer Legal Services Program works with a network of pro bono attorneys to provide legal services to thousands of Bay Area residents on a broad range of legal problems. Programs includes the Community Organization Representation Project (CORP) in which 1,100 experienced volunteer business-law attorneys help organizations throughout Northern California better serve their communities.

Tell them you need to cite chapter and verse of the LAW so that your citizen can provide definitive evidence that he's still entitled to Medicaid because he doesn't qualify for Social Security or Medicare. They have access to Lexis/Nexis, so they can find the law for you.

Last edited:
Ah...California. I know just the place you should go for pro bono guidance. Please check back on this thread tomorrow after I've had a chance to look it up.

Oh you're a doll!! I know what you're referring to

It's called Northern California Legal Services

Good thinking!! I'll check back in with what I learn.

Thanks for your kindness, what a great idea. :idea:

Oh we have a house in Southern California which is closing escrow, located in Carson. It's nice there. Much better air quality than over here believe it or not.

Here's someone else. She will know where to tell you to go for pro bono (free) legal assistance.

Again, I haven't reached 20 posts yet, so cut/paste these keywords into a new browser window:

healthlaw org kimberly lewis national health law program

Pretty sure she will know off the top of her head the answer to your question.

Ah...California. I know just the place you should go for pro bono guidance.

California Public Counsel Community Development Project
Phone: (213) 385-2977
Public Counsel delivers pro bono legal services to indigent and underrepresented children and adults, ensuring that community-based organizations serving this population have legal support, mobilizing the volunteer resources of the private bar, and providing technical assistance to pro bono attorneys and projects throughout California. It is the public interest law office of the Los Angeles County and Beverly Hills Bar Associations and the Southern California affiliate of the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law. Public Counsel provides the opportunity for volunteers to work on a wide variety of projects. Some cases are relatively simple, suitable for new attorneys seeking to develop new skills, or for more experienced attorneys seeking to expand their legal experience. Other cases are highly complex. In addition to litigation, Public Counsel volunteers can assist with transactional and administrative matters and work in specialized areas such as health care. Health care projects include working with legal issues for children with developmental disabilities and helping pregnant and parenting teens access government program benefits, medical and mental health care, and providing corporate and transactional legal services to health care safety net providers, including federally qualified health centers, community clinics, and mental health service providers serving low-income, minority and immigrant neighborhoods.

Volunteer Legal Services Program/Bar Association of San Francisco -- Pro Bono Partnership
Phone: (415) 982-1600
The Volunteer Legal Services Program works with a network of pro bono attorneys to provide legal services to thousands of Bay Area residents on a broad range of legal problems. Programs includes the Community Organization Representation Project (CORP) in which 1,100 experienced volunteer business-law attorneys help organizations throughout Northern California better serve their communities.

Tell them you need to cite chapter and verse of the LAW so that your citizen can provide definitive evidence that he's still entitled to Medicaid because he doesn't qualify for Social Security or Medicare. They have access to Lexis/Nexis, so they can find the law for you.
I haven't heard of these people, thank you.
Yes I will remember to get the chapter and verse of the law for our Clients for the appeals process. I'll call them on Monday and go to their website right now.

And I noted your other lady, thank you so much. Sorry for all the hate on this website. I think I'll go see if there is a way to report this trolling on their posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back