American Fidelity Assurance Company

I am intrigued by an invitation I got from this company to go to a recruiting event. Their website is American Fidelity Assurance Company

Basically, they've been around for about 50 years, have been raned on the Fortune Top 100 places to work (but hey, so did Eddie Jones), and have an A+ AM Best rating. This stuff doesn't mean too much though.

What they do is work in the educational systems (K-12) selling ancillary insurance products like cancer, life, ltc, and hospital indemnity, to school system employees. They also have a presence in the employer market, working a lot with auto dealers.

Does anybody know anything about this outfit - good, bad, or ugly?

I was a marketing vp for them back in the eighties in OK City. They were a wonderful company at that time, and from all I know, they still are. They are particularly strong in the educator market (Educational Sales Division), one of the largest writers of Group Disability in the country, have a nice 403(b) program, and competitive Life products. They have a good reputation for taking good care of their agents if you are in the Education or Employer sales divisions.

They also have a brokerage company, so perhaps that is what you are invited for. That's a totally different situation.

Biggest mistake of my career was leaving them (my wife hated Oklahoma). Over the years, I've been with a few real b.s. operations, but American Fidelity is not one of them. I would seriously look into their offer. I can't say enough good about them!

atlantainsguy

I used AFA products in WSM a few years ago. They were a solid carrier. Haven't had any contact with them in several years.

My general impression is that mid-western based companies are usually a notch above the rest.

Exception for TX domiciled carriers of course . . .

I was invited to a recruiting event from them, promising salary, co. car, laptop as well. Is this legit? Any input would be appreciaited.

Thanks for the input everyone. My interview is tomorrow. If anyone else can weigh in with more specific info that would be appreciatted.

Has anyone worked with them recently? I was contacted also. They said it involved selling benefits and life policies to teachers and working with the school districts. Sounds good, but anyone out there have any info on this?

I worked for them in the early 80's in Sacramento, CA. for about 2 years.

Yes, you get a fully paid Co. Car, an Olds. Cutlass Supreme back then, a gas credit card and full expenses when traveling. You also received a guaranteed salary, about 80% of your previous years' earnings plus a quarterly bonus, based on production. I worked in the employer market, not the school side. A fair amount of travel is required, based on your territory. They used to have quarterly meetings in OK. or in the Region, mine was in Austin, TX. in addition to the quarterly meetings.

They were quite structured back then with little room for variance. You also had to attend a two week training in OK. City. Products were O.K., not the most competitive at that time. The main thrust for my area was Auto Dealers, which was a tough sell due to a very poor auto market at that time and Dealers were not interested at all if they were union shops.

Back