America's Largest Insurance Association To Disband

CHUMPS FROM OXFORD

Guru
5000 Post Club
Officially, you can read about the announcement here:

America's Largest Insurance Association

Full Statement:

Dear members:

It is with great trepidation and disappointment that I am officially announcing the dissolution of the largest US Insurance Association..."The Health Insurance Shop."

With more than 55,000 members worldwide and a strong balance sheet, the time has come to move on to other more challenging projects. I have greatly enjoyed being your leader and mentor since 1981 when this great Association was formed.

Throughout the years, we have been the nation's recognized premier resource for invaluable health insurance information and support for so many members, institutions and insurance professionals.

As mentioned...our balance sheet is strong. As of 1-1-10, we had $4,075,500 in current assets and only $1,650,400 in current liabilities. All short-term obligations have been paid and all existing mortgages on our properties have been paid off. Indeed, we are in great financial shape.

Between now and July 1, all of these assets will be liquidated. Approximately 12% will be distributed to selected long-term members and the balance will be donated to the upcoming "Walk Across America For Groats Disease" which will take place in the Spring.

I will be in contact with the IHIAA and ILIAA to provide them complete access to our member list for immediate contact. Other than first name and email, no other information will be provided.
Further details will be released and all financial records will be open to the public.

On a personal note, I have enjoyed every minute of the time I have spent building this Association into what has become an American insurance legend. I have dined with politicians, mingled with professional athletes and graciously become friends with many of Hollywood's finest. But it is you...the member that has given me the most joy.

Thank you so much for all you have done and the time you have graciously donated. You, the members, are the ones that made this Association great. And that never will be forgotten.

Sincerely

Ed

Your association was (is?) the #1 source of support, information, and great door prizes for independent insurance agents.

While I am saddened, I guess this means the ILIAA will gain at least 10,000 new members. For this, I thank you.

As you know, I have been paying my monthly charter member dues automatically from my bank account and have signed my pledge to continue this until 2018 (or when ObamaCare officially starts, whichever is later). How will this affect my payments?

Rick

Good question and I believe I have received about 500 similar questions.

Dues will be be electronically deducted for this month only. And the disbursement of funds will probably take place in April. Of course, you are on the list to receive a portion of those funds.

Ed, did Obama offer you anything to do this?? I find it odd that after his speech last night you decide to do this.

It must have something to do with health care reform or some kind of a deal you made with him to disband.

Maybe Obama is afraid that you along with your members will stand up to his health care reform.

Did Obama get to you also?

To answer the questions...

I did not consider giving the Association away. The "Walk Across America For Groats Disease" is an event that I could not ignore.

I never was never offered ACORN money. However, a tenant in one of our buildings had an "Acorn" tattoo on his ankle.

I realize the timing is a bit ironic, coming on the heels of Obama's unhistorical speech. But the timing was a mere coincidence.

Back