Any New Books Recently???

One of the things I take for granted far too often in this line of work (esp. if you're a road warrior) is the opportunity we have to consume a vast amount of audio learning, encouragement etc. I do better with this in different seasons, but during baseball it's hard to pull away from mind-numbing sports talk radio.

Anyhow, I recently went back and listed to some old John Maxwell stuff on leadership and really got a kick in the pants! He basically infers that leadership is "influence" and that got me evaluating myself as to what type of influence I am and what types people (influences) do I surround myself around. To put it another way, what value do I provide others and do I intentionally run in circles that add value to me?

I immediately drew the connection to what we do without having to strain too hard. Probably the most common value proposition we see around here is "who can make me rich the fastest" and while comp should be an important consideration I'm not so sure it should reign supreme.

There are other fundamentally important value pieces that good leadership can provide such as reoccurring evaluation/training, positive feedback and providing platforms for other potential leaders to grow their skills (This one really stands out to me. I believe it's inevitable that the top agents in our circles are going to get bored and fizzle out sooner than later if they are not given opportunities to be a part of the organization in more impactful ways.) In fact, I feel strongly that creatively finding ways to have members of our individual teams feel like they are contributing to the overall success of the organization is paramount to the longterm health of the organization. After all, there's such a minute percentage of agents that make it long term (even as killer salesman) because it's a lonely grinding profession imo.

So those were the thoughts that came to me and were a challenge to me personally as I am exploring ways to serve other agents well. In addition though, as I know we have hundreds of unregistered users here lurking, the other question is what value do you add to your team? As a part of the kick in the pants for me I was reminded that those who just suck the organization dry and provide nothing in return fizzle out and jump around from ship to ship anyhow.

I'd love to look back at the end of the day and of course be able to say that I was successful personally, but even more, I'd really get deep joy knowing I brought as many as I could along the journey with me and ultimately saw them surpass my triumphs not only in business, but many other more important areas of life frankly.

Welp that's my long two cents. I also wanted to see if ya'll have read anything recently that challenged you to get your crap in gear or change your frame of mind?!?!

Profit First by Mike Michalowicz. I have been in the biz full time for 14 years now (would have been 19 had I not taken a detour as a Pharma Rep) and a couple years ago calculated total commission earned and compared that to my net worth and came to the conclusion that I needed to stop reading books on sales (ie offense in the money game) and start getting a better idea of cash flow and how to best manage it so as to maximize net worth accumulated as a result of sales. Bottom line is that this book changed my life. Hopefully one person reads it as a result of this post and can benefit from it as I have.

reardendirect_interviews-125x200.jpg

Final-Expense-Book.jpg

Back