Anybody Get Stage Fright?

I have been dreading that first call to introduce myself. I apparently have a case of stage fright. I used to teach before embarking on this new career adventure, so it's not like I am shy. How does one get over the hump and not put their foot in their mouth?

How do you address the awkwardness of trying to get in touch with someone who you have an association with from a former common interest, (such as staff at daycare providers your children no longer attend). I would love to be able to secure their futures, being that these wonderful people took care of my most precious creations. Do you just bite the bullet and put it all out there?

Please tell me I'm not the only one who started off by being excited, yet a little gun shy at the same time. I can understand the rejection. I know that is part of this kind of territory, and I am comfortable with being turned down. I have a script to work with, it is just the feeling of being nervous! :embarrassed: :no:

I have been dreading that first call to introduce myself. I apparently have a case of stage fright. I used to teach before embarking on this new career adventure, so it's not like I am shy. How does one get over the hump and not put their foot in their mouth?

How do you address the awkwardness of trying to get in touch with someone who you have an association with from a former common interest, (such as staff at daycare providers your children no longer attend). I would love to be able to secure their futures, being that these wonderful people took care of my most precious creations. Do you just bite the bullet and put it all out there?

Please tell me I'm not the only one who started off by being excited, yet a little gun shy at the same time. I can understand the rejection. I know that is part of this kind of territory, and I am comfortable with being turned down. I have a script to work with, it is just the feeling of being nervous! :embarrassed: :no:

Would a bottle of jack daniels and coke work? :goofy:

I saw an interview from Beyonce where she said she still gets nervous before she goes on stage ... Just have fun with it.

From the mouth of my supervisor from a factory job in my teenage years "Even if its wrong, do something!"

Accept the fact you will screw up. Then it really doesn't matter what you do. Right now you need the practice and repetition.

What you are calling stage fright in this business is called call reluctance.

Do it !
Keep doing it !!
Sometimes when you think you screwed up...you actually did good !!!

I don't know how to succeed, but I do know how to fail. If you want to fail then don't make the call....then you will be guaranteed to fail.

So pick up the phone. And keep picking up the phone.

Good Luck !

Don't put too much thought in into it at first. Realize that your goal is to make a connection, help them to uncover potential problems that you may be able to help solve. Your teaching background should give you an advantage because essentially that what you'll be doing is educating people and persuading them to take action on your recommended solutions! The biggest thing that helped me overcome call reluctance is to reevaluate why i'm in this business. What am I doing this for? If it's just to make money there are plenty of other jobs where you can make a good living without having to prospect or make cold calls. It has to be something big enough to keep you laser focused and in the game, otherwise when you had enough of people yelling at you to get off their porch or hanging up on you, it's time to start updating the old resume again! I think that's why most people fail in this business. There's a low barrier of entry and their heart's not in it enough to keep fighting when the going gets tough, and it does get tough!

Last edited:
I know I am in it for the right reasons: helping people. This is exactly why I got into teaching in the first place. I just felt the need to help in a different capacity. I guess it is the fear of the "whaddayawant?" tone when I call, especially from those who I have not contacted in a while as my primary market. To me, it's like standing at the edge of a giant, refreshing-looking pool, and not wanting to go in more than sticking my foot in on a hot day. I know I gotta jump in to feel the reward of the pool, I just don't want to feel the initial shock of cold.

I know I can do this, I just gotta find my "go gettum" guts to tun on.

(big sigh)

Will attempt in the morning.

Stay tuned!

To be continued.......................
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Would a bottle of jack daniels and coke work? :goofy:

I'll take some vodka-always hear it gives you wiiings! (ok, ok, it gives you/me liquid courage)! :D:laugh::cool:

Last edited:
I know I am in it for the right reasons: helping people. This is exactly why I got into teaching in the first place. I just felt the need to help in a different capacity. I guess it is the fear of the "whaddayawant?" tone when I call, especially from those who I have not contacted in a while as my primary market. To me, it's like standing at the edge of a giant, refreshing-looking pool, and not wanting to go in more than sticking my foot in on a hot day. I know I gotta jump in to feel the reward of the pool, I just don't want to feel the initial shock of cold.

I know I can do this, I just gotta find my "go gettum" guts to tun on.

(big sigh)

Will attempt in the morning.

Stay tuned!

To be continued.......................
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'll take some vodka-always hear it gives you wiiings! (ok, ok, it gives you/me liquid courage)! :D:laugh::cool:

Buy and read "The Psychology of Sales Call Reluctance".

Back