Anyone have a sample quote spreadsheet?

Your goal when you initially talk to a business owner is to get an appointment. If the business owner agrees to meet with you, you should gather the info you need to run quotes.
Actually, your goal when you initially talk to someone (business owner or otherwise) should be to qualify them, qualify them, and then qualify them again.

That will give you some information to decide if an "appointment" is even worth your valuable time!

There are many people that you don't want to "meet with".

Actually, your goal when you initially talk to someone (business owner or otherwise) should be to qualify them, qualify them, and then qualify them again.

That will give you some information to decide if an "appointment" is even worth your valuable time!

There are many people that you don't want to "meet with".

Part of getting an appointment is qualification... I think this goes without saying. It sounded like the poster was concerned about not getting into the sale right after talking with the prospect.

I'll rephrase for the nit-pickers... Your goal when you initially meet someone is to get an appointment with a qualified prospect... not to sell them something on the spot.

Last edited:
Agree with Paul - it's qualification, qualification and when you're done - more qualification.

Too many agents launch into a presentation and unknowingly beg for business. It paints them as desperate but they don't realize it.

1) Qualification for Interest: "What's your biggest concern?" Then shut up and let them talk.

2) Qualification for health: not just "you on meds? Ok, great." An in-depth health qualification.

3) Qualification for time: "When you choose a plan when do you need it to begin?"

Too many agents launch into a presentation and unknowingly beg for business. It paints them as desperate but they don't realize it.

I think what's even worse is agents jumping into qualification without rapport. I see this often with new agents...

This also goes without saying, but I'm going to say it... If you don't build rapport initially with a prospect and jump into qualification, you're toast.

I think we all focus on "how to get the appointment", "how to qualify", and "how to close the sale"... but rapport building is negleted and one of the big reasons agent fail.

People do business with people they like, and people that are like them.

Let me come at this a different way. How often, percentage wise, do you vets close a sale on the spot when cold calling business?

I have a pretty good memory and retain things fairly easily, but there is no way in hell I will be able to know which plan is best for a potential client just from a 20 minute conversation. As the years go by, and I get more acclimated, I am sure it will turn into second nature. But that is not going to happen for at least the first year and probably longer than that.

I think 24 hours is a reasonable amount of time to get back to a prospect w/ a quote, then again my opinion does not matter.

Let me come at this a different way. How often, percentage wise, do you vets close a sale on the spot when cold calling business?

I have a pretty good memory and retain things fairly easily, but there is no way in hell I will be able to know which plan is best for a potential client just from a 20 minute conversation. As the years go by, and I get more acclimated, I am sure it will turn into second nature. But that is not going to happen for at least the first year and probably longer than that.

I think 24 hours is a reasonable amount of time to get back to a prospect w/ a quote, then again my opinion does not matter.

I never close a sale on the spot. Do you remember when you were dating girls in high school and college? If you were over-eager, the girls did not want to date you because you looked desperate. Or maybe the opposite happened... the girl was too eager to go out with you, and you didn't want to have anything to do with her...

This is a fine example of human psychology at it's best. People want what they can't have. I choose to schedule an appointment at a future date with a prospect because I'm busy. People don't want an over-eager anymore than they want an over-eager date, and they like to do business with busy people.

There is nothing wrong with setting an appointment at a future date. I advise that you carry a day-planner, and you should always consult it before setting any appointment.

I don't want to do business with someone that doesn't have any clients besides me. You give this appearance when you don't treat your time with value in front of a potential customer. Watch Jerry Mcguire...

no way in hell I will be able to know which plan is best for a potential client just from a 20 minute conversation

As you become more proficient it becomes easier.

I can usually tell, inside of 20 minutes, what will be the best options for the client.

Allowing them the time to come to the same conclusion usually takes a bit longer . . .

Do you remember when you were dating girls in high school and college? If you were over-eager, the girls did not want to date you because you looked desperate. Or maybe the opposite happened... the girl was too eager to go out with you, and you didn't want to have anything to do with her...

Dating is sales, find the need and fill it (then fill something else, LOL)

:D

Back