Appointment Setting Business

Leads are different things to different people, and there are different kinds of leads. I know that moist will disagree with me, but I don't give a sh*t...hahaha. I like to buy targeted data lists (https://www.listshack.com/ :)) for age 64+ and copy their info onto a recipe card. I then consider that a lead as they're probably in need of something I'm offering. I cold door knock these. This works good for Med Supps, but I wouldn't think it would work as well for FE.

Can you breakdown your "numbers"
Dks per day - to appointments - to apps ?

Can you breakdown your "numbers"
Dks per day - to appointments - to apps ?

No, I haven't kept track. I was brought up in the business as a door to door salesman, and this is much easier. I go for the appointment now, but once in a while I set an appointment. I'd guess that I get in two out of fifteen knocks and close at least 1/2. I get some grief now and then, but for the most part most people are receptive. Just like with any regular lead, lots of people are home, but don't answer the door. Guess I need to work on "The Wave".

I just moved a lady from one Med Supp to another yesterday. I door knocked a name 3 years ago, and the person had moved. This lady had just moved in. She bought and gave me 3 referrals that bought. She said she didn't know guys still door knocked...she thought it was cool.

I think that with the DNC list growing and the cost of DM increasing that you'll see more door knockers in the future.

No, I haven't kept track. I was brought up in the business as a door to door salesman, and this is much easier. I go for the appointment now, but once in a while I set an appointment. I'd guess that I get in two out of fifteen knocks and close at least 1/2. I get some grief now and then, but for the most part most people are receptive. Just like with any regular lead, lots of people are home, but don't answer the door. Guess I need to work on "The Wave".

I just moved a lady from one Med Supp to another yesterday. I door knocked a name 3 years ago, and the person had moved. This lady had just moved in. She bought and gave me 3 referrals that bought. She said she didn't know guys still door knocked...she thought it was cool.

I think that with the DNC list growing and the cost of DM increasing that you'll see more door knockers in the future.

Nice post Tom, what do you generally say when you cold door knock for Med Supps?

Nice post Tom, what do you generally say when you cold door knock for Med Supps?

Thanks Justin. I say, "I don't suppose you want to buy any insurance today do you"? I have done that when a sour puss answers the door to make them laugh. It's worked a few times. Hahaha.

If they're turning 65 I say something like, "Hello Mrs. Jones, my name is Tom and I'm an independent insurance agent representing most of the top Medicare Supplement companies. I see you're getting ready to get Medicare. You'll be getting bombarded with mail and phone calls, and I'm here to help save you some confusion and make the process as easy as possible for you. May I come in please"?

If they're older I say something like, "Hello Mr. Smith, my name's Tom and I'm an independent insurance agent. I represent most of the top companies. Due to recent increases in Medicare Supplement premiums, I've shown several people in the area how they can save money and keep the same plan/exact same coverage they have now. Do you have a few minutes to see if you can qualify to start saving"?

The main thing is to get a conversation started.

Thanks Justin. I say, "I don't suppose you want to buy any insurance today do you"? I have done that when a sour puss answers the door to make them laugh. It's worked a few times. Hahaha. If they're turning 65 I say something like, "Hello Mrs. Jones, my name is Tom and I'm an independent insurance agent representing most of the top Medicare Supplement companies. I see you're getting ready to get Medicare. You'll be getting bombarded with mail and phone calls, and I'm here to help save you some confusion and make the process as easy as possible for you. May I come in please"? If they're older I say something like, "Hello Mr. Smith, my name's Tom and I'm an independent insurance agent. I represent most of the top companies. Due to recent increases in Medicare Supplement premiums, I've shown several people in the area how they can save money and keep the same plan/exact same coverage they have now. Do you have a few minutes to see if you can qualify to start saving"? The main thing is to get a conversation started.

This is intriguing to me - I run 20 DM leads a week and door knock all day (final expense)- your telling me , out of 15 doors you will write at least one app ? And you buy a list for next to nothing ? Do you know if anyone has done this with Fe ... I may buy a list and start knocking and give this a test .

This is intriguing to me - I run 20 DM leads a week and door knock all day (final expense)- your telling me , out of 15 doors you will write at least one app ? And you buy a list for next to nothing ? Do you know if anyone has done this with Fe ... I may buy a list and start knocking and give this a test .

I haven't heard of anybody doing it...only that it won't work. I think Newby has door knocked for FE, don't know if he used a list.

Buy a list for $50(you can download all the names you could work in a year) and give it a try. It won't work for everybody...you've got to be persistent and have the right personality. If I was a FE guy, I'd give it a try. You can target the ages/incomes/areas, etc. that you want to work. With FE/Life, everybody's a prospect.

First, it is very possible to buy a list and go talk to them cold, and business can be produced. The problem with this is, in the time you get around to finding ONE app, a real deal FE agent on DM leads will write 4-5.

I have, and others have said this to you, so I am not sure if it will stick, but WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS WORKING GREAT! You obviously could be lying about your numbers (which is seeming more and more to be the case) but if you are doing what you say you do, don't change it! You are hitting 5k every week on 20 leads! Why do you keep looking for other options?

The best thing a FE agent can do is to put blinders on. Just stay laser focused on what you are doing. Once you start trying to save $20 here and $20 there, you will be stepping over THOUSANDS to save hundreds.

Keep busting it!

First, it is very possible to buy a list and go talk to them cold, and business can be produced. The problem with this is, in the time you get around to finding ONE app, a real deal FE agent on DM leads will write 4-5.

I have, and others have said this to you, so I am not sure if it will stick, but WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS WORKING GREAT! You obviously could be lying about your numbers (which is seeming more and more to be the case) but if you are doing what you say you do, don't change it! You are hitting 5k every week on 20 leads! Why do you keep looking for other options?

The best thing a FE agent can do is to put blinders on. Just stay laser focused on what you are doing. Once you start trying to save $20 here and $20 there, you will be stepping over THOUSANDS to save hundreds.

Keep busting it!

Very true Ben, if it ain't broke...don't fix it!

First, it is very possible to buy a list and go talk to them cold, and business can be produced. The problem with this is, in the time you get around to finding ONE app, a real deal FE agent on DM leads will write 4-5. I have, and others have said this to you, so I am not sure if it will stick, but WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS WORKING GREAT! You obviously could be lying about your numbers (which is seeming more and more to be the case) but if you are doing what you say you do, don't change it! You are hitting 5k every week on 20 leads! Why do you keep looking for other options? The best thing a FE agent can do is to put blinders on. Just stay laser focused on what you are doing. Once you start trying to save $20 here and $20 there, you will be stepping over THOUSANDS to save hundreds. Keep busting it!

I'm not hitting 5k every week - and I'm not lying - why do I keep looking for options ? Because I'm always looking to improve / learn and grow .

----------

I started in the FE business by researching this forum . This place is full of wealth , knowledge and wisdom ..... It's also full of poison .

I ask questions and I will continue to . I'm committed to the system I have now . None the less, I will continue to grow and find more efficient ways , more productive ways , Etc , of doing business , helping people and making money. Weather that be by continuing to buy 20 DM leads and buying a list that I can dk cold one day a week . Idk . Maybe I'll start Med supps and dk 2days a week with a list and continue my 20dm leads . I don't know - that's why I ask . I like to think about things and experiment .

I'll continue to ask questions just like I do in a house . I never know when I'm going to write another annuity until I ask . Just like these forums , I may be asking my way into cross selling a different policy or product or whatever . But I won't know until I ask .

When I door knocked (in 2000 and 2001) it was for pre-need insurance not FE. In one way that was better and in other ways it was harder than FE.

The better part was when you threw the funeral home name out there people usually were familiar with it (instant credibility).

The worse part was 4 out of 5 of them don't use the funeral home you are working for (instant shut down.) Also you had ONE product and your minimum possible monthly payment was around $125 per person.

With all that said, the first time I did it I knocked on 10 total doors. On those 10 doors I made two sales which resulted in over $3,000 in commission. The largest of those sales was the very first door I knocked. Talk about finding a unicorn.

When I got back to the office I was ramped up. I told my story to all the agents working there and everybody was all cranked up. We all went out door knocking the next days and I did it about one day a week for quite a while. But never again would the sales come at a ratio of 2 per 10 doors knocked. Not even close.

I could consistently make one sale per day from cold door knocking. On nice days I really enjoy it. On too hot or too cold of days, it's brutal. And if you really NEED to make sales, I wouldn't advise it. There are much more dependable ways to prospect and make sales.

The very last day I cold door knocked was 9-11-2001. It was a crazy day. Every door I knocked just let me in with hardly any conversation. But everyone was completely focused on the TV. Some of the houses I was in had no idea why I was there even after I left. I went on home around 11:30 and have never door knocked since.

If I do it again it will be for weight loss. Because buying fresh direct mail leads is WAY more efficient.

Latest posts

Back