Are Independent Agents at War with Their Bank?

Even the big banks around my parts have agencies. BB&T, Wells, Regions along with some credit unions. Even some large dealerships that are trying to get their hand in the pot. Seems like everybody wants to sell home and auto insurance around here.

Cause insurance is easy..................

If you've been around a while, this seems to be a common idea of those not in the industry, that they can enter and the world will be on their doorstep buying insurance, because you know, people are lining up to buy... ;)

The grass is always greener.

I often wondered if I should have gone into P&C sales, but I don't like golf that much.

Problem is, my golf game still stinks.

----------

I noticed the paycheck advance/check cashing places are getting into the insurance biz too.

That ought to be interesting!

I referred customers of mine to my credit union to refinance their auto loans because the credit union has some great deals and I knew these people were struggling with substandard auto loans. To the point the credit union is now soliciting them with the same exact carriers I have in my office. I was going to join the other credit union in town but they are soliciting their senior citizen customers with the same Medicare plan that I write and advertising all these big fancy Medicare seminars with a professional catering service every year.

Cause insurance is easy..................

If you've been around a while, this seems to be a common idea of those not in the industry, that they can enter and the world will be on their doorstep buying insurance, because you know, people are lining up to buy... ;)

The grass is always greener.

I often wondered if I should have gone into P&C sales, but I don't like golf that much.

There was some industry social media event recently that LifeHealthPro was covering. I had a little back and forth with the editor on Twitter about this same thing. She seemed to think I am an *** for not thinking that Amazon is going to take over insurance along with Google. The woman just didn't get it.

I think there should be a rule that these people who write for industry publications should actually have to sell insurance for a few months.

----------

I referred customers of mine to my credit union to refinance their auto loans because the credit union has some great deals and I knew these people were struggling with substandard auto loans. To the point the credit union is now soliciting them with the same exact carriers I have in my office. I was going to join the other credit union in town but they are soliciting their senior citizen customers with the same Medicare plan that I write and advertising all these big fancy Medicare seminars with a professional catering service every year.

Are you saying they cater food at their Medicare seminars? If they're talking MAPD or PDP then make a couple of phone calls, better yet - film a session. CMS would love to see that footage!

I follow the rules coffee donuts, that's it. Nothing that could be assembled into a meal or sandwich like the carriers/medicare tell us not to do. I was told that crackers, cheese and lunch meat are like a sandwich and don't do it. These guys got massive fruit trays, veggie trays, crackers, all sorts of cheeses and meats, yogurts, bagels, and top it all of shrimp with assorted dipping sauce. It seems like really pushing the boundaries. They call it a service to their members, and its for one medicare advantage plan that they do this.

I follow the rules coffee donuts, that's it. Nothing that could be assembled into a meal or sandwich like the carriers/medicare tell us not to do. I was told that crackers, cheese and lunch meat are like a sandwich and don't do it. These guys got massive fruit trays, veggie trays, crackers, all sorts of cheeses and meats, yogurts, bagels, and top it all of shrimp with assorted dipping sauce. It seems like really pushing the boundaries. They call it a service to their members, and its for one medicare advantage plan that they do this.

Slam them and report back.

"I think there should be a rule that these people who write for industry publications should actually have to sell insurance for a few months. "

Actually, I've love to see that done in actual insurance companies. I would love to see company execs actually trying to sell their product line for a while.

Back