Are Residential Cold Calls Viable These Days

mikelnix

Expert
I am calling residential now, however getting a hold of people is next to impossible. Most people that post on the boards mostly do small businesses. With DNC, land lines going the way of the dinosaur, is this still viable?

Just my personal experience with residential calls for individual health - took a stab at it a few years back.

No one answers and the people who do:

1) Scream that they're on the DNC
2) Have an IQ of 95

That said, I believe residential to the senior market works because most still have phones with cords attached to them and actually answer the phone. But give that a few years and that'll also be dead as a nail.

I am calling residential now, however getting a hold of people is next to impossible. Most people that post on the boards mostly do small businesses. With DNC, land lines going the way of the dinosaur, is this still viable?

Even when you scrub against the DNC list there are still thousands of numbers to call. I used to do health insurance mainly but changed to life on the residential side. Work a list of 1000 numbers and disposition the calls twice at different times. You will generate at 1-4+(meaning when you run the appointment you write 1-3 people in that house) sales depending on the area. Calling 200,400,600,800 numbers is BS well you might catch someone at the right time in the early stage of calling.

Last edited:
Residential cold calls are very viable.. Just walk up and knock on the door...I don't know if telephoning works or not. :)

Get this. I actually had a Kirby salesperson knock on my door a few days ago. I was shocked when he said he was with Kirby. He was persistent so it became a rebuttal battle.. I have to give it to the guy he was a pure salesman..

There are several guys on this forum knocking residential and making good money.

Get this. I actually had a Kirby salesperson knock on my door a few days ago. I was shocked when he said he was with Kirby. He was persistent so it became a rebuttal battle.. I have to give it to the guy he was a pure salesman..

When I was doing FE, I dont think I went into a single house that didn't have a Kirby vacuum in the living room. You gotta give it to those guys, they are salespeople.

When I was doing FE, I dont think I went into a single house that didn't have a Kirby vacuum in the living room. You gotta give it to those guys, they are salespeople.

I personally know 2 ex Kirby salesmen who couldn't hack it in insurance. Goes to show .. :yes:

It really depends on what you're selling. If you're trying to do annuities or LTC it's probably not the most effective way to generate business, but I have folks that sell Medicare, FE, and health insurance that order lists consistently. My guess is they wouldn't keep ordering if it wasn't working, but maybe they just like giving me money ;)

To get into a little more detail, residential cold calling results can vary a lot by area and it takes a certain type of person to do well with it. It's certainly not for everybody, but to that point neither are direct mail or internet leads.

I don't know what part of the country you're but I can tell you in the Inland Empire ( 30-60 miles in the desert from L.A.) they seem to run crews all the time......and a hispanic buddy of mine says they also hit the 1st generation hispanic communities right in L.A.'s immediate metro area and kill it.

Who knew?

Back