With Sr Life, if the agent passes the renewals start going to the beneficiary the agent listed in his/her contract (spouse for ex). There is also a contingent beneficiary. Neither beneficiary has to be licensed to receive the renewals. I thought all carriers did this. I learn something new every day...lol.

With Sr Life, if the agent passes the renewals start going to the beneficiary the agent listed in his/her contract (spouse for ex). There is also a contingent beneficiary. Neither beneficiary has to be licensed to receive the renewals. I thought all carriers did this. I learn something new every day...lol.

OP did not mention dying, but they did say "if I leave the business".

Of course dying is tantamount to leaving the business . . .

Perhaps it differs from state to state but in TN, most companies vest the renewals for the life of the business. If the agent quits he continues to receive the renewals and no requirement to service the business exists (service fees are never vested because service is required). Since the business is not required to be serviced there is no requirement for a person to be licensed to receive the renewals. That is the reason an unlicensed beneficiary such as the spouse can received the renewals or if there is no beneficiary, they will be paid to the agent's estate. Therefore, renewals should be able to be assigned to any entity the agent desires.

What is the company structure? S corp, C corp, LLC, etc?

Each entity is treated differently.

Caveat - not an accountant just a forum gadfly . . .
An LLC can file as an S corp.

That's how my accountant has us set up and like @HoosierLife mentioned, the distributions aren't subject to self-employment taxes which ends up being a lot of money when all is said and done.

An LLC can file as an S corp.

That's how my accountant has us set up and like @HoosierLife mentioned, the distributions aren't subject to self-employment taxes which ends up being a lot of money when all is said and done.

I allowed Josh to get me off track from the forum topic about assigning commissions which has nothing to do with taxation.

LLC did not exist when I set up my agency.

Back