Assurant to pull out of all quote engines

Not all GR plans are association plans.

Not all association plans are bad.

You can pick apart any plan with any carrier and make them all look bad if you wanted to.

Time's rates and underwriting are not up to par with other, mainstream carriers and have been out of line for some time. I have no idea how long they can continue as an underdog, or why they would want to. Their market philosophy will not allow them to garner a significant portion of the market and in fact will result in them losing market share.

As for GR, they have some of the cleanest plans around. I especially like the Plan 80, Plan 100 and the HDHP plans.

I have not written as much with GR in the past few months, especially since Coventry and then Humana started marketing more aggresively. Biggest issue is the lack of first dollar preventive care. Other, similarly priced plans include a wellness benefit with little or no out of pocket.

Well, here in Georgia, they are competitive. I don't use Norvax, or any of that cr-p. I present one HMO Product (here, in Atlanta, it's Kaiser), one PPO Product (either Humana or Coventry), and one HDHP Plan (always Assurant One Deductible).

:skeptical:

We must be writing in different parts of Georgia, because Assurant is NOT competitive, and quite frankly, they don't have a good reputation (IMHO). I'll use zip code 30338 as an example. Husband and wife age 40 with 2 kids.

Assurant - $5,700 Deductible - $472.01
Golden Rule HSA 100 - $5,800 Deductible - $386.33
Humana Autograph Total Plus Rx HSA - $5,000 Deductible - $383.51

These rates are all based on standard (not preferred). Of the three, I'd recommend the Humana plan. A deductible that is $700 less and a premium savings of $1,062 (combine the two and that's 35% of their deductible).

In my opinion, Assurant gets the biggest push from agents because they advance commissions and pay a higher commission than most other carriers. I personally can't write something when I know there is a better plan available. I'm not saying you are motivated by the advance or higher commission. But you can't say that the above rates are competitive. I challenge you to start quoting Golden Rule and Humana along with Assurant for your HSA quotes and see which the client will choose.

As for GR, they have some of the cleanest plans around.

Dude. Anyone who thinks GR has "clean" plans would be well advised to be sure their E&O is up to date.

Read the "fine print," otherwise known as exclusions and limitations.
And read it very carefully. :no:

If you do not understand how E&L limit benefits, then see first sentence in this reply.
:yes:

Caveat: Actual E&L can be modified on a state by state basis pursuant to local rules & regs. That don't count. If you happen to live in a state where GR is mandated by law to actually sell a "clean" product, that's great. For the rest of ya, see first sentence in this reply, again.

*Update: It's too bad that corporate attitudes are not accurately reflected in a company's contract (insurance or agent). But then again, perhaps they are, at least to a degree. I would say more, but I happen to be involved in litigation with those yahoos.

Last edited:
Jbage Dude -

I can (and have) read the exclusions & limitations. Man, am I glad you pointed this out. It seems that GR does not pay for:

Services that are not medically necessary

Services or supplies provided prior to the effective date of the policy

Body modification, breast reduction or augmentation, sex change surgery

Expenses for telephone, television or expenses for other persons

Failure to keep a scheduled appointment

The list goes on . . .

Now I need to go find a policy that DOES cover these things, dude.

So tell me **** for brains, where do I find such a plan?

Dude. Anyone who thinks GR has "clean" plans would be well advised to be sure their E&O is up to date.

Read the "fine print," otherwise known as exclusions and limitations.
And read it very carefully. :no:

If you do not understand how E&L limit benefits, then see first sentence in this reply.
:yes:

Caveat: Actual E&L can be modified on a state by state basis pursuant to local rules & regs. That don't count. If you happen to live in a state where GR is mandated by law to actually sell a "clean" product, that's great. For the rest of ya, see first sentence in this reply, again.

*Update: It's too bad that corporate attitudes are not accurately reflected in a company's contract (insurance or agent). But then again, perhaps they are, at least to a degree. I would say more, but I happen to be involved in litigation with those yahoos.

Okay, so give us an example...

Jbage Dude -

I can (and have) read the exclusions & limitations. Man, am I glad you pointed this out. It seems that GR does not pay for:

Services that are not medically necessary

Services or supplies provided prior to the effective date of the policy

Body modification, breast reduction or augmentation, sex change surgery

Expenses for telephone, television or expenses for other persons

Failure to keep a scheduled appointment

The list goes on . . .

Now I need to go find a policy that DOES cover these things, dude.

So tell me **** for brains, where do I find such a plan?

Boy, am I glad Jbage (dude) brought this up. I didn't realize GR didn't cover television. How will my insureds keep up with the soaps when they are in the hospital?

This explains the lawsuit I'm currently not involved in, about an insured that is suing me because they missed Days of Our Lives. I couldn't figure it out till now.

Looks like my first E&O hit.

Dan

This explains the lawsuit I'm currently not involved in, about an insured that is suing me because they missed Days of Our Lives. I couldn't figure it out till now.

Looks like my first E&O hit.

Dan, I feel your pain.

I don't suppose you know of any policies that DO cover TV's and breast augmentation.

Dan, I feel your pain.

I don't suppose you know of any policies that DO cover TV's and breast augmentation.

Actually, I know of one that covers augmenting breasts on TV, but it basically just gives you a magnifying glass.....

Back