Assurity

And another name for a non-med life policy on the individual market would be a GI policy.

Part B of an individual life or disability application is also called the Medical History or Medical Questionnaire. A Non-Med Policy is one that does not require Part B of the app.

Non-Med is a very common and long standing term in the Group Life and DI world... and it has nothing to do with an exam.

I have seen it used by newer agents to describe No Exam Life Insurance... but its being used incorrectly when they do.
Yes, I used it incorrectly in my post, but it has become so common to say non med, when actually referring to no exam. The term non med really doesn't make sense, when you're checking MIB, Rx and possibly going to be interviewed by an UW.

Non Med is just a term that is shortened.

I'll tell prospects - just answer some questions about your health, the Insurance Company will check your MIB and do a Script check and possibly a Driver History check.

No medical exam required - no paramed, fluids, blood work, etc.

But even with GI - some Carriers ask health questions.

Non Med is just a term that is shortened.

I'll tell prospects - just answer some questions about your health, the Insurance Company will check your MIB and do a Script check and possibly a Driver History check.

No medical exam required - no paramed, fluids, blood work, etc.

But even with GI - some Carriers ask health questions.

Incorrect. If a policy asks health questions it is not GI. Maybe its SI (simplified issue) meaning no exam needed and very few health questions to answer.

But GI means zero health questions. Not a single one other than if you are alive.

Non-Med is an established term in this industry that means zero medical requirements to be approved for a policy. Its been that way for decades.

You can use whatever term you want with your clients, they wont know the difference, but that doesnt make you correct.

But GI means zero health questions. Not a single one other than if you are alive.

I've never seen that question, "Are you alive?", on an app. Life or health. :laugh:

What Tom is referring to is called "almost GI" by many FE agents. besides the ones he mentioned, some FE Modified plans are almost GI.

Yes, I used it incorrectly in my post, but it has become so common to say non med, when actually referring to no exam. The term non med really doesn't make sense, when you're checking MIB, Rx and possibly going to be interviewed by an UW.
It makes sense if you are using it to specify no medical exam.

Some say Potato - I say Potatoe.

But calling a tomato a potato is incorrect. That is what you are doing. Its a totally different process and meaning.

I am not trying to put you down. I am just trying to share the correct terminology.

If you willingly choose to use incorrect terminology that is on you.

But why you would choose to use incorrect terms... especially among other agents... makes zero sense other than you just not wanting to admit you used the term incorrectly... which shouldnt be a big deal. You cant know everything, and that is ok.

Last edited:
It makes sense if you are using it to specify no medical exam.

Other than the fact its a term that already existed that has a different meaning.

Non-Med: no part B required on the app

No-Exam: no medical exam required, part B is still required

Different terms, different meanings.

I get how it could be easily confused. But just because it could make sense for the other, doesnt make it the correct term.

If nobody corrects an incorrect term... then more and more agents become confused and are using incorrect terminology.

Back