At the tone . . .

I think persistence can lead to problems.

Persistence is one issue.

Becoming a stalker is something else . . .

I try to recognize the distinction and call off the posse before I could be labeled a stalker.

Here is a question for those that use shared internet leads. Do you use the same system for them? How often do you call, and do you always leave a message?

I use internet leads, and here is what works for me.

Leads get an immediate email telling them what to expect (their phone will ring off the hook), why they are being bombarded (their information was sold to a minimum of 6 agents and possibly more), why they should not make a decision now (every agent calling will attempt to close them in 10 minutes or less by pushing one product . . . one that may not even be insurance), and why they should deal with me (I will not pressure them, I will answer all their questions & provide information by email, giving them plenty of time to make the RIGHT decision).

In the email I promise to call, but not right away. I tell them it will be 2 - 3 days before I have the opportunity to call and that will give them time to decompress from all the high pressure pitches.

When I do call, they either find my approach to be refreshing or they are already pissed at the world.

My first call is to remind them who I am and why I am calling. I let them know up front that I just need 2 minutes to verify their information and find out exactly what kind of plan they want.

If I get voice mail, the message goes something like this.

"Hi Mary, this is Bob Vineyard in Atlanta. My number is 404-252-5859. You requested information on health insurance and I need to verify your information so I can send out an accurate health insurance quote. All I need is 2 minutes. I would appreciate a courtesy return phone call at 404-252-5859."

My second message comes about 2 - 3 days after that and all I leave then is my name & number. By then they have received my earlier voice mail and at least 2 emails. If they don't know who I am by now, or why I am calling, then I am wasting my time to give any more detail.

My third call comes a week after the lead came in, then a 4th call on the 10th day.

They also go in my Constant Contact list for future mailings.

I know that some people do not like this...but... I always tell my internet leads where I am located (usually within 90 miles of them) and to NEVER GIVE OUT ANY INFORMATION TO ANYBODY WHO IS CALLING FROM OUT OF STATE. I explain that my office is local (or we have an office local to them) and explain that when you couple 26 years of experience with the ability to write through multiple carriers, there is NO reason to buy from someone out of state.

Eh...sometimes it reduces my competition pretty easily. Most of the time it doesn't. But it sends a nice subliminal message because they get that same message in every phone call and email.

But I will tell you this. "Idol" starts in about 10 minutes and my wife and daughter will be in a trance until it is over.

No quotes with the initial email, but I do send them a link to my quote engine. After a few days if I have not been able to contact them I send quotes via Norvax with an email with tracking letting them know that quotes are coming.

I do as much with tracking as possible so I can find out who is opening my email and who is not.

My Constant Contact newsletter also let's me see who is reading my newsletter and who is clicking thru for more info.

If you left 15 messages on my machine I'd call you back alright. You wouldn't like the call either.

This reminds me of a steady stream of sales calls I got at work a few years ago. I don't like solcit calls during work, and had asked anyone who spoke with the sales lady that I was out.

Finaly, after the dozenth call, I got involved.

"Mr Dunn," says she, "I've left over a dozen messages for you to speak with me, yet you've not returned my calls."

"Perhaps you might want to take the hint my dear." I said, hanging up the phone. Strangely, she never called back again.

Back