Auto Dialers Banned

I think that it would be a pretty safe bet that this law would not include political.

According to today's newspaper, "calls to charitable fundraising on behalf of nonprofit groups also must provide an automated opt-out mechanism. Those calls won't require prior written consent from consumers." The source for the article is Bloomberg News.

Also, beginning this December, pre-recorded calls must give consumers an opt-out for future calls.

The number I show as my business number is actually a residential phone. Does my DNC registration actually mean anything?

Rick

If it's published as a business number, the DNC registration doesn't apply. Now, most anyone doing residential calling will check the list and not call, someone doing B2B calling won't and will call, you can't get anywhere complaining about it later either.

Dan

I still can't imagine ever responding to an auto-dialer. I'll listen to a telemarketer for a few minutes (heck, I am one a few hours a week), but I don't feel the need to be polite to a machine. I guess some people must. It just seems strange to me though.

I always thought the rule was 90 days , however the automated message I thought has been illegal for some time to residents.

The waters are muddy as to the legally of "ANY" pre-recorded voice blasting. This is why all of you who have called us and asked about hiring us to do this were told "No Thank You".

God Forbid if you accidentally call a hospital or emergency services (police, fire and etc) and clog up their lines. It is also illegal if you call all the lines at a business. This became illegal when a company would use auto dialers to blast a competitor repeatedly thereby causing a loss in business.

We have had the technology and it has actually been around for years. Google Voice broadcast and you will find a 100 companies out there offering this service. I asked one of these guys when I was doing my own research, if it was legal. He replied, if it isn't, thats your problem, we are only a "phone company" and you will sign a disclaimer before using our service. WoW! What a sport...

Ask the FTC and they will tell you to consult your attorney and make sure you do your due deligence. Again, water is too muddy for me and for me to subject my clients to this wrath.

Only my opinion and has always been my opinion. Those of you who have talked to me about this know that I do not flip' flop on this subject, but if this is what you are doing, Go For It! just don't complain that you were not warned.

Good Luck!

I still can't imagine ever responding to an auto-dialer. I'll listen to a telemarketer for a few minutes (heck, I am one a few hours a week), but I don't feel the need to be polite to a machine. I guess some people must. It just seems strange to me though.

I agree, the second I hear "this is not a sales call" CLICK!

Back