Auto insurance from a customer's perspective

northwoods2

Expert
Ladies and gentlemen:

New poster here. I have been looking into to auto insurance business for the last few years. I read about the pay per mile feature that many companies are offering and followed that thread from its basic concept to university/PHD-level papers recently published. One in particular details the potential premium reductions possible when PPM is incorporated into the risk pool and used to calculated premiums, along with the standard items like, age, address, driving record, etc. What I found was rather startling.

Fast forward to the present.
Many of us are not driving much, if at all these days. In the past, I put 20,000 miles or more per year on my commuter car, and less than 2,000 per year on another vehicle, yet paid full coverage for both with no usage reductions. Progressive insurance has a system (Snapshot) that addressed this, so I tried it.

I used the device per the instructions for 30 days. My miles driven were recorded, along with an item called "acceleration events". If I accelerated or slowed down at a rate that exceeded the device programming I was dinged for it. The device would ding me almost every time I slowed for a stop sign or light. No dangerous driving - just normal stuff we all do every day. Net result - no deduction! I am an unsafe driver regardless of my clean record.

Continued research - most every company offering this feature did the same thing - offering great discounts followed by yanking them when their gadget "decided" your driving habits did not measure up. Other companies would give you a great reduction and then a few months later start increasing your rates, providing a excuse like accidents in your area have gone up, but you did not have one. SO... why are they going up??

The more I read the angrier I became. Come to find out the industry in general cannot afford to reduce rates because of inefficient business practices.

Long story short, I am looking into forming an auto insurance company that is based on fairness as viewed by the customer. My background is engineering, so I have a lot to learn.

I have a web site but will not share it until I hear from the moderators that doing so will not violate any policies. At this time, I have nothing to sell. Just information, for now.

Snapshot and Allstate Drivewise are monitors of driving habits. Allstate Milewise is a per mileage policy. you are charged a base premium, place money into a debit account of sorts, and are debited for miles driven, so long as you don't exceed 250 for the day (travel) or exceed your guessed mileage for the year. You are notified upfront about how much premium per day and how much premium per mile. i watched senior citizens get real discounts since they tend to use the car for church and grocery shopping
Their DriveWise measured driving habits. Don't exceed 80 MPH, don't drive in rush hour, don't drive middle of night, pay attention to the car in front. I have seen 3%-5% decreases in premium. Most people exceed 80 on a highway at some point, follow too close, drive at late hours. The discount was minimal, approx 3%

The Milewise saved an older couple the equivalent of 2 months premium within a 3 month spread. Good luck getting your idea past the 50 Commissioners of Insurance in the 50 states

I am fascinated by the concept. But am intrigued as to why this could possibly help someone that has not had an accident or ticket in ten years.

In other words it would seem to me that per mile driven or driving habit auto insurance forms are most potentially useful for younger drivers or those who are rehabilitting their driving records.

Last edited:
I read about the pay per mile feature that many companies are offering and followed that thread from its basic concept to university/PHD-level papers recently published

A PHD-level paper? What does that mean?

Come to find out the industry in general cannot afford to reduce rates because of inefficient business practices.

Good thing you'll be there to point out their mistakes and rescue them based on your insider information. You should probably wear a cape when you do it. You can borrow one of mine. Think of all the good you can do with the billions of dollars you make.

Long story short, I am looking into forming an auto insurance company that is based on fairness as viewed by the customer.

Why don't you work as a consultant and rescue all the carriers from their silly inefficiencies?

My background is engineering, so I have a lot to learn.

Nah, sounds like you've got it figured out from PHD level papers.

Does not look like you are much of a forward/original thinker. Status quo seems find for you. Stay there! PHD level paper refers to a professor at univ wrote it. Link is below

PAY‐AS‐YOU‐DRIVE AUTO INSURANCE IN MASSACHUSETTS http://web.mit.edu/jf/www/payd/PAYD_CLF_Study_Nov2010.pdf

Yeah, I'm just one of those idiots that started several businesses, each filled with inefficiencies, while people sat on the sidelines theorizing about what I was doing wrong. The last one was so "inefficient", I retired at 37, then started working again out of boredom, which I actually found pretty surprising. I will stay here, it's done very well for me.

Here is one fault with your concept: If a new insurance carrier only charges for per mile insurance AND only takes best customers AND charges very small premiums where does the money come from when 1 of those drivers has a major accident with injuries? Any claim you cause is not paid from the premium you paid, it's paid from the pool which includes young and old, good and bad drivers. Eire only takes top notch drivers using history, credit, and claims to give good rates. When a customer doesnt reach those parameters they are asked to leave. Your concept wont kick someone out until after the loss that bankrupts your company.

Here is one fault with your concept: If a new insurance carrier only charges for per mile insurance AND only takes best customers AND charges very small premiums where does the money come from when 1 of those drivers has a major accident with injuries? Any claim you cause is not paid from the premium you paid, it's paid from the pool which includes young and old, good and bad drivers. Eire only takes top notch drivers using history, credit, and claims to give good rates. When a customer doesnt reach those parameters they are asked to leave. Your concept wont kick someone out until after the loss that bankrupts your company.

What about all the money he gets from fixing inefficiencies?

I love when "professors" on college campuses write academic papers telling industries that have been around for 300+ years what they are doing wrong … :)

As if the thousands and thousands of actuaries, underwriters, etc. employed by these companies are all just flawed idiots.

Auto insurance is a dumpster fire right now - the vehicles are becoming increasingly more expensive to fix, people are becoming increasingly more distracted while driving, and most important - the lawyers are becoming more and more hawkish... I would not want to just get premium when the vehicle is actually moving, I'd want a cushion.

Back