Avoiding the Vampires-->How to Own Your BOB?

It's that simple! lol I guess I'm just not good knocking on doors- but this is a great idea. I'm going to think about this a bit. We have lots of suburban areas with wives at home with the kids.

Thank you!

Saturday is a good day to give it a try. (between 9am and 1pm.)

Just check with your city or county first to see if you need a soliciting permit.

----------

Thank you Thomasm,

Did a little research on the forum, and no-disrespect, but Aren't you a LH agent who door knocks for LH leads? And you sell leads to PC guys/gals?
No offense my friend, but door knocking for PC leads wouldn't work in my area as MANY communities are gated. I think the best way to get leads are through contacts and networks. One can surely TRY this method, but i don't think i have the stamina to do it in our weather down here (it's always hot in Florida---don't know where you are)???

You must have read some of my old posts. I used to door knock seniors for L/H (life & health, not Lincoln Heritage. haha!)

I found it to be too futile, so I moved on to selling Med Supp's over the phone during the day, and took a D2D job canvassing P&C leads for a captive shop in the evenings and Saturdays.

I've always been a good canvasser. My first sales job was for Kirby. Couldn't sell them dirt suckers very well but I could keep an entire van crew booked all day with appointments because of my canvassing skills!

I've only been canvassing in Utah but I did knock Las Vegas one month back in 2006. So I know some areas can be tough.

What I remember about Vegas is people don't use their front doors. They enter and exit via the garage door. You'd go up the door and it would be plastered with old flyers and door hangers.

Oh and I hated those metal screen doors where you couldn't see who you were talking too.

And even in nice areas like Summerlin, people were afraid to answer their door after dark. (6pm)

Long story short, some places are tough to knock, but you know what... we still got in!

As for the gated communities, us being juveniles, we would either climb the gate, or wait till a car pulled out, and sneak in. :1laugh:

Last edited:
It's simply part of paying your dues. I had to do it, too - build a modest book, then leave it behind and wait a year for my non-solicit to expire. I felt that the agent I previously produced for at least deserved that bit of extra revenue for giving me a chance when I was new to the business...

Don't sign a non compete and you'll be all set.

Saturday is a good day to give it a try. (between 9am and 1pm.).....

Thanks guys.
*Thank you indienoise. That makes sense.
*Thanks Midcoast. Is this really possible in my case? I don't know? I was just asking.

Are you actually licensed for anything?

FLM2, I am newly license in LH (as i priviously mentioned). I am also considering a PC class coming up.

QUESTION(s);
  • I frequently see vets blasting newbys for questions; "Why?"
  • Why is it necessary to "Guilt someone" for asking a reasonable question?
  • What about my question(s) offends you?
  • Am i doing something wrong by asking these types of questions?
  • *Please, tell me (us Newby's and Vets who are reading) what you see me doing wrong by asking these questions so that (we/i) can make some adjustments (if possible). **Maybe these adjustments could be for our own good??? I don't know,...i just had the question and decided to ask it.
Anyway, Thank you!

~Tim

Thanks guys.
*Thank you indienoise. That makes sense.
*Thanks Midcoast. Is this really possible in my case? I don't know? I was just asking.

FLM2, I am newly license in LH (as i priviously mentioned). I am also considering a PC class coming up.

QUESTION(s);
  • I frequently see vets blasting newbys for questions; "Why?"
  • Why is it necessary to "Guilt someone" for asking a reasonable question?
  • What about my question(s) offends you?
  • Am i doing something wrong by asking these types of questions?
  • *Please, tell me (us Newby's and Vets who are reading) what you see me doing wrong by asking these questions so that (we/i) can make some adjustments (if possible). **Maybe these adjustments could be for our own good??? I don't know,...i just had the question and decided to ask it.
Anyway, Thank you!

~Tim

First of all, experienced agents who take time offering advice to newby agents want to at least know that the advice has a chance of being helpful.

Jumping around from MAPD to P&C leads me to believe you could be trolling the forum for information, none of us like that.

Finally, if your name is Tim Resnick there isn't a licensed agent in Florida with that name so I am somewhat skeptical of anything you post at this point in time.

There is no reason for you to reply to this, I won't offer any more advice on anything you post and will have you on ignore as well.

First of all, experienced agents who take time offering advice to newby agents want to at least know that the advice has a chance of being helpful.

Jumping around from MAPD to P&C leads me to believe you could be trolling the forum for information, none of us like that.

Finally, if your name is Tim Resnick there isn't a licensed agent in Florida with that name so I am somewhat skeptical of anything you post at this point in time.

There is no reason for you to reply to this, I won't offer any more advice on anything you post and will have you on ignore as well.
FLM the super sleuth! :-)

I'm a very respectful man, so i don't want you or anyone else to take this the wrong way. Please forgive me if i offend you,...not trying to. IN the following paragraph, when i reference THEY or THEM i mean "an agency."

With that said, maybe i wasn't being clear. "I don't want or need a salary. I don't want anyone to pay me to learn at their expense. I can "completely" understand if that is the case, "why THEY would want to pay me" because that would mean that I Owe THEM something More than just your fair split of any new business that i would bring in. I got that and certainly would make sense on why THEY would expect it. Not sure where that leaves me?

I didn't mention anything about learning. I said you want to get paid, whether its a commission or a salary or both or whatever. You won't produce for free (and shouldn't be expected to). You write and bind a policy, you deserve to get paid for that policy. It can be straight commission or it can be commission and salary or whatever.

Now, the agent has paid you to do your job. You walk and take that policy, he has paid you to build your own agency.

If you really don't expect to get anything for writing business in an agency, then I understand your point, but, I would question why someone would want to work and not earn anything.

----

Since you mentioned learning though, please understand that bringing a new person on at an agency is a big risk and an expense to the agency. Ok, you don't want to get paid a salary, but you will still cost the agency $$$ and resources while you learn and get up to speed. In addition, newly licensed agents tend to write stuff that they shouldn't, or at least place it with the wrong carrier / rate it in funny ways. This can put bonuses on the line for the agency. Because of this, they spend time (and resources) coaching you on how to properly market and write the business. It goes with the territory.

All of this said, a LOT of agents want blood when a producer walks out the door. I don't agree with that side either, but not letting the agency earn something for you to gain experience is being very short-sighted.

Dan

Sorry if i offended you. Just trying to learn. I guess all newby's ask a lot of questions---its just what you do when you don't know the answers (although i wouldn't call that trolling).

Tim is my first name, Resnick is my mothers madein name and that's the way i chose it for a public online forum. I, like most others, chose to not use my full real name (simlar to you). Regardless of what my real "last name" is, i have always been polite and respectful when posting and that's what i will continue to do. I'll leave it at that...thank you for responding.

I didn't mention anything about learning. I said you want to get paid, whether its a commission or a salary or both or whatever. You won't produce for free (and shouldn't be expected to). You write and bind a policy, you deserve to get paid for that policy. It can be straight commission or it can be commission and salary or whatever.

Now, the agent has paid you to do your job. You walk and take that policy, he has paid you to build your own agency.

If you really don't expect to get anything for writing business in an agency, then I understand your point, but, I would question why someone would want to work and not earn anything.

----

Since you mentioned learning though, please understand that bringing a new person on at an agency is a big risk and an expense to the agency. Ok, you don't want to get paid a salary, but you will still cost the agency $$$ and resources while you learn and get up to speed. In addition, newly licensed agents tend to write stuff that they shouldn't, or at least place it with the wrong carrier / rate it in funny ways. This can put bonuses on the line for the agency. Because of this, they spend time (and resources) coaching you on how to properly market and write the business. It goes with the territory.

All of this said, a LOT of agents want blood when a producer walks out the door. I don't agree with that side either, but not letting the agency earn something for you to gain experience is being very short-sighted.

Dan

Thank you Dan for taking the time to fully explain the agencies side of the business. I really appreciate it and now have a better grasp of the way the business works. What i was trying to say was "i don't expect a salary" while i am learning. I don't know if that's customary or not (like i said, i am a newby). Certainly (as you said) I expect to get paid for any policies that close, but not looking for a base (at this point)---but that may have to be the way it goes as someone mentioned earlier.

Thank you for being a Gentleman and forthright with your thoughts.

Much Respect....and Thanks!

~Tim

Last edited:
Agency who hired me gave me a simple contract that stipulates that if i ever leave, I can take my business with me, This is very important for me, since i am bringing lots of contacts from my 15 years i was in real estate.But since they have been 38 years in the business, I don't think they care one way or another. In either case, It's probably wise to always ask and negotiate as needed. :twitchy:

Back