BCBS Maternity Rider

Most carriers in most states are gaming the system to allow non-grandfathered plans to keep their current plan and rates through the end of 2014.

Sorry Bill. Did not mean to steal your thunder. I started answering this 20 minutes ago, got a phone call, then finished and posted only to see your post.

You can only keep your plan if you own a grandfathered policy (effective before 3/23/10). If non grandfathered, your policy will discontinue in July 2014 (right blue diamond?), and you will be forced to buy a new O'care plan.

If you happen to own an HSA plan, be sure to leverage those tax deductions for paying cash for the baby.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Most states are allowing policies to discontinue on their 'renewal' month in 2014. Only WA, IL, OR, and maybe CA require 1/1/14 change. See a pattern in those states listed? Starts with a "D"

Yes, mostly right, there are a few that will end 1/1/2014 but the majority will end June 30, 2014 and hospital surgical July 31,2014.

Can't remember all the ones that are ending 1/1 but the go blue is gone and any of GI products and about 3 more.

No NW they're all not the same depending on plan year.
This made me laugh. Thanks for that but I know I must be in for a HUGE shock. We pay around 450/m premium now for both my husband and I. We are healthy, non smokers. This has a 5k deductible. If you had a guess, what do you think the jump will be? We definitely fall into the "higher income" category.

Well the rates have not been released but I've been told if you are over 400% poverty level and you purchase a richer plan you could be realizing around 50-60% more. I have just been told that nothing concrete. If you are on a grandfathered plan you may want to keep it and pay out of pocket for maternity.

Last edited:
In response to NW benefit provider, where he was saying Washington was ending all plans 1/1/2014. Just saying that carrier's were different as well as some states.
Oh I believe the 528 plan is gone 1/1/2014. It was only good for a single person anyway.
Oh, this may have been addressed before, but if a policy holder is mapped to plan equal to what they had and they were a smoker and they accept the plan they are mapped to and don't change it, they will receive a non-smoker rate. If they go down in benefits then they will receive the smoker rate.

Last edited:
Back